Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio problem

Video recorded on Samsung Galaxy S2 has audio problem when played via QuickTime. Audio starts, then breaks up and hums. VLC plays video and audio perfectly. Video created with iMovie OK in QT, but breaks up and hums in VLC. No previous audio issues before OS Lion. Will Mountain Lion fix this or compound the problem?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1067 MH

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 5:58 AM

14 replies

Jul 27, 2012 7:45 AM in response to Cottonsocks

Video recorded on Samsung Galaxy S2 has audio problem when played via QuickTime.

What kind of video? What compression formats/settings were used—especially the data rate and sampling rate combination used for the audio? Without such information, it is difficult to know if the audio is supposed to be compatible with QT.

Video created with iMovie OK in QT, but breaks up and hums in VLC.

Again, what compression format and settings were used? All AAC LC combinations allowed to export from QT based apps should be VLC compatible.

No previous audio issues before OS Lion. Will Mountain Lion fix this or compound the problem?

Probably not. All of my files thus far tested play equally well using QT and VLC under Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion. Sounds like a possible software or hardware problem that may have surfaced with update to Lion which does not support everything that Snow Leopard and older OS X systems supported. You can try disconnecting suspect hardware peripherals and running conflict checks. Any migrated apps that no longer open should be checked for Lion compatible provider updates.

User uploaded file

Aug 1, 2012 7:42 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks Jon

File info gives -

Dimensions: 1920 x 1080

Codecs: H.264, AAC

Duration: 01:52

Audio channels: 2

Total bit rate: 17,154

My problem is that I point the phone and shoot and expect the software to do the rest. I wouldn't know how to change the codecs or bit rate. But any advice greatly appreciated. I thought it might be Apple squeezing out Android.

Hardware peripherals: laser printer, Lacie external drive and Wacom tablet. How would I check for conflicts?

Aug 1, 2012 8:52 AM in response to Cottonsocks

File info gives -

Dimensions: 1920 x 1080

Codecs: H.264, AAC

Duration: 01:52

Audio channels: 2

Total bit rate: 17,154

Assuming the data is in a standard MOV, MP4, or M4V file container, I would normally expect the H.264/AAC data to be fully compatible with all QT-based apps if the file was encoded in compliance with ISO/ICE standards. Further analysis would require a sample file for physical examination to check for standards compliance.

User uploaded file

Aug 18, 2012 11:08 AM in response to fablepd

I'm very concerned by Camera and Sound of Galaxy s2 anyway ;(

You can find more information here : http://samsunggalaxysforums.com/showthread.php/7420-Exporting-Video-to-Mac-has-a udio-out-of-sync.-Any-suggestions

I've got the same problem here ;(

Then try the same solution.

1) It appears that most Galaxy SII users either cannot or will not provide sample files for examination. (Most so-called "sample" files posted to the internet turn out to be YouTube converted content.)

2) The first and only sample file I've downloaded to data seems to have multiple problems and was not suitable for checking audio/video synchronization. (I.e., baby chicks scratching around in a box does not provide much opportunity to check "lip sync.")

3) Depending on app used to examine the "sample" file I downloaded, the audio sampling rate was at 16.0 or 32.0 KHz in either a mono or stereo VRB 64 Kbps target mode, and the video frame rate was not fixed/slow in unknown or Baseline L-3.1 profile. In short, there was inconsistent interpretation of the data content.

4) While AAC settings did appear to meet standards, this inconsistency in interpreting how the data is supposed to be played may be the source of problems.

5) Like the referenced forum poster above, I also tried re-sampling the audio to more Mac-like settings. (I my case, I resampled to 16-bit/48.0 KHz sampling rate at CBR 80 Kbps per channel using the QT 7 Pro MPEG-4 video "passthrough" option which I prefer to Apple's 41.4 KHz at 64 Kbps system default or the above forum poster's settings which are more consistent with MPEG-1 layered or AC3 stereo audio settings.) Unfortunately, it was impossible to tell if the baby chicks were in sync with the resulting audio or not.

In any event, since it appears unlikely that people having this problem will be posting a file for test by responders here, my recommendation would be to re-sample the the file using the explained VLC or QT passthrough option and post back regarding results and settings used.

User uploaded file

Aug 19, 2012 3:56 PM in response to fablepd

Let me know how i can share a directory with a video (dropbox ) ?

That depends on the resources you have at your disposal. Files of 20 MBs or less can normally be emailed. Larger files can be shared via peer-to-peer client software. Files can also be posted to any personal, free, or commercial server space to which you may have access. Once posted to a server, reference files or URLs may be posted to this forum or emailed which can open the content directly in a QT or other media player. For example, here is a link to the Galaxy S2 sample file I located on the internet:

http://downloads.walker4.me/downloads/Temporary.html

User uploaded file

Aug 21, 2012 11:25 AM in response to fablepd

Here you have a sampe .mp4 having problem in Quicktime.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2021178/20120812_202620.mp4

Downloaded the file and examined it. Frankly, it is nothing like the Samsung Galexy S2 sample file downloaded from the internet. So I am wondering if this is, in fact, a file that was recorded on the same device, a file you modified for easier transmission, or a file whose audio has been resampled in an effort to improve an A/V sync problem. (E.g., the previous file had an audio sampling rate of 16.0 KHz @ 64 Kbps for a 720p quality file whlle your file had a 48.0 KHz @ 128 Kbps for a gpp quality file—not what I would normally expect and something that makes me think this file is either from a different device or has been modified.) I AM LOOKING FOR A SAMPLE FILE AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY RECORDED ON THE DEVICE AND NOT A FILE THAT HAS BEEN CHANGED BEFORE OR DURING POSTING.

In addition, this sample was also unsuitable for "lip-sync" examination. Was hoping for a video of a person standing in front of the recoding device and talking without a crowd shouting in the background. In short, it is difficult to tell if a person in the current FOV is the one talking at any given point in time or if it is someone entirely different. In any case, I have posted two files ("ScreenQT7.mov" and "ScreenQTX.mov") depicting how your file plays in the QT 7 Player and QT X Player apps on my system. (I.e., the named files can be found at the same "Temporary" URL posted above where I put the Galaxy S2 sample file. NOTE: These files are on my own personal home server so they are only posted for a limited time before being deleted to reclaim the storage space.)

About the only thing of interest noted on your file was the discrepancy in audio and video duration—i.e., these was a discrepancy of 0.58 sec between the two and while this is not unusual, it could represent a delay between the time it took the first encoded audio frame to be stored and the time it took the first encoded video frame to be stored even though both tracks indicate the same "zero" start time but the shorter video track appears to play longer that the longer audio track. (Strange! Isn't it?)

User uploaded file

Aug 22, 2012 6:05 AM in response to Cottonsocks

The intermittent, then continuous buzzing is exactly what I'm experiencing. Doesn't happen on my wife's iMac using Snow Leopard. Spoke to Apple customer services and they seemed to admit it's an icompatibility. Maybe this is a move to encourage Android users to switch to iPhones?

Didn't note any buzzing on either the iternet sample I downloaded or the sample posted by "fablepd." Have noted audio problems under Lion and Mountain Lion when processing audio in some third-party apps. However, this may be due to problems associated with recent audio handling/processing changes made to the Lion and Mountain Lion operating systems. As Ambrosia put it, they "depreciated" rountines before fully devrloping new replacements caused some audio problems. The new Mountain Lion OS is supposed to have rectified the problems but some third-party software groups are still scrambling to update their products for the changes.

I didn't even know there was a problem until I went to caputure some streaming content with Snapz Pro X and found the audio capture was no longer functioning. So I then checked their web site and ran across some WireTap notes from last week discussing the changes and the fact that Ambrosia was working on an a compatibility update. Only noise problem I have run into was in the re-procession of some audio content using VLC. Not sure if this is due to the same issue or not, but since there were alternative QT 7 work flows that accomplished my goals and they did not produce any distortion, I did not really investigate the problem further at that time and, franky, promptly forgot about the matter until now.

In any event, while I would not go so far as to say that Apple has deliberately made system changes to intentionally target android users with problems, it is not uncommon for Apple system changes to produce unexpected problems for some users which require "fixing" once the problem is identified and a solution is found. Unfortunately, the "fixes," as often as not, produce new problems.

Was basically trying to investigate both your distortion and lip-sync issues mentioned elsewhere and totally forgot to ask if you could provide a sample of your specific issue to see if I can reproduce the problem on my system which is set up to make comparisons under separate Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion start-up drives.

User uploaded file

Aug 30, 2012 6:03 AM in response to Cottonsocks

Hello Cottonsocks
I have the same problem. I installed it on my Imac Osx Lion, but when I was on Gingerbread SGS2 everything was fine, but since I have updated my galaxy s2 ICS audio on quicktime is corrupt.
Even when I import of videos from my SGS2 on iMovie have the same problem.
While on my old macbook with OSX Leopard the same videos work properly.

greetings

Rawly76

Audio problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.