8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 8:47 AM by twtwtw
MattJayC Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi I am process a mass of files, and the script works, but a few files are locked how can I add it to this script

tell application "Finder"

set theseFiles to files of front Finder window as alias list

repeat with tFile in theseFiles

set tFile to tFile as string -- convert alias to string for Photoshop CS5+

--unlock file if locked

--Run photoshop action

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS5.1"

try

open (alias tFile) showing dialogs never

tell current document

--If the quick mask mode has been left on then delete the channel Quick Mask

if (quick mask mode) then delete channel ¬

"Quick Mask"

if (exists layer "Original Layer") then ¬

tell layer "Original Layer" to set name to "Original Image"

--If Original Image layer exists, then delete

delete layer "Original Image"

do action "Merge Layers" from "PSD Compression"

close saving no

end tell

on error

set noError to false

my myLogs(tFile) -- write path to log file in Desktop

try

close saving no --if exists, close current document

end try

end try

end tell

end repeat

end tell

if not noError then do shell script "/usr/bin/open  ~/Desktop/LogPhotoshopError.txt'"

on myLogs(t)

try

do shell script "echo " & (quoted form of t) & ">> ~/Desktop/LogPhotoshopErrorfromPSDCOMP.txt'"

end try

end myLogs

on duplicateFile(tFile, foldersPath) -- tFile is an alias, foldersPath is a list of folder

tell application "Finder" to repeat with folderPath in foldersPath

with timeout of 200 seconds -- adjust it,  error if the copy  is longer that 200 seconds

duplicate tFile to folder folderPath with replacing

end timeout

end repeat

end duplicateFile

on getFolderPath(tName, folderPath)

tell application "Finder" to tell folder folderPath

if not (exists folder tName) then

return (make new folder at it with properties {name:tName}) as string

else

return (folder tName) as string

end if

end tell

end getFolderPath

open "Hal 9000:Users:matthew:Desktop:LogPhotoshopErrorfromPSDCOMP.txt"

end tell

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • 1. Re: add a file unlock to an applescript.
    twtwtw Level 5 Level 5 (4,690 points)

assuming you have permission to unlock the file, you can use the Finder's item's lock property"

set lock of tFile to false

end tell

as an aside, let me point out that it's generally bad practice to nest application tell blocks.  Most of the time it works, yes, but when it doesn't it's bear to debug.  My general practice in situations like yours is to create a handler for the Photoshop tell block and call it from the Finder tell block; using a handler creates a new context that eliminates the possibility of name conflicts.

• 2. Re: add a file unlock to an applescript.

Not getting that to work for at the moment,

When I add it where  I suggested, it just opens the items, but doesn't do anything?.

any quick suggestions? Many Thanks

Matt

• 3. Re: add a file unlock to an applescript.

The only suggestion I have is for myself to get glasses.  The property name is 'locked' not 'lock' - set locked of tFile to false.

• 4. Re: add a file unlock to an applescript.

I get the error

error "Can’t set locked of \"Images:2011-2012:WK40:Wallis_WK40_PSD:WA35WW02747GO1GO.psd\" to false." number -10006 from locked of "Images:2011-2012:WK40:Wallis_WK40_PSD:WA35WW02747GO1GO.psd"

Result:

error "Can’t set lock of \"Images:2011-2012:WK40:Wallis_WK40_PSD:Error Log.txt\" to false." number -10006 from lock of "Images:2011-2012:WK40:Wallis_WK40_PSD:Error Log.txt"

• 5. Re: add a file unlock to an applescript.

You've given two different error outputs - the first says 'locked' and the second says 'lock'  which is correct?

The Finder dictionary claims that items have a boolean 'locked' property, and that it is read/write.  If it's not working, then either Finder scripting has a bug or Photoshop locks the file in a way that Finder can't undo.  either way you'll have to turn to photoshop and see if it has a way of unlocking files - I don't have PS available currently, so I can't help with that.

• 6. Re: add a file unlock to an applescript.
    Jacques Rioux Level 4 Level 4 (1,960 points)

Hi,

MattJayC wrote:

I get the error

error "Can’t set locked of \"Images:2011-2012:WK40:Wallis_WK40_PSD:WA35WW02747GO1GO.psd\"

Because tFile is a string.

As shown in this post,  maybe you must change the modification date of file.

---------------------------------------

set currDate to current date

set theseFiles to files of front Finder window as alias list

repeat with tFile in theseFiles

set locked of tFile to false

set modification date of tFile to currDate

set tFile to tFile as string -- convert alias to string for Photoshop CS5+

• 7. Re: add a file unlock to an applescript.

This is from the on screen prompt

Can’t set locked of "Images:2011-2012:WK30:Freedom:Freedom_WK30_PSD:FR10RI03653GO1AG.psd" to false.

and then in Result field

error "Can’t set locked of \"Images:2011-2012:WK30:Freedom:Freedom_WK30_PSD:FR10RI03653GO1AG.psd\" to false." number -10006 from locked of "Images:2011-2012:WK30:Freedom:Freedom_WK30_PSD:FR10RI03653GO1AG.psd"

I think I might be running in to another problem where my files have already gone though the process. Like you mentioned earlier i might have too many things going on.

• 8. Re: add a file unlock to an applescript.

I don't think changing the modification date will be necessary, but you're right about the value being a string - I missed that.  In that case all he need to do is toss in a 'file' keyword:

set locked of file tFile to false

end tell