Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AD user with no home directory does not work correctly

Hey guys:

I just tried to login as a standard AD user and was able to login, but the finder is having issues. The Finder seems to reset itself and the dock would also reset, plus the top menu bar is not present, anyone else with this issue? Also I login as my account with admin rights and have no problem, I am thinking about trashing the finder prefs and dock prefs and see what happens then, will post back if I find anything.

John

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, Unified Systems-Mac, Windows, Linux

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 7:06 AM

2 replies

Mar 7, 2013 11:51 AM in response to johnl927

We're suddenly getting the same issue here.

A MacBook Pro (OSX Lion) installed a few months ago has no issue when setting up new users.

The MacBook Pro (OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2) which arrived this week is a different matter altogether!

Once it joined the domain every attempt to log in as a network user has failed. The following ticked options work on our Lion machines:-

• Create mobile account at login
  • Require confirmation before creating a mobile account
  • Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home location
  • Default user shell: /bin/bash

However, the Mountain Lion machine is having none of it. Network users get no finder bar across the top, the Finder icon will bounce every so often as though it's tried, and failed, to load.

Terminal states "no home directory"

The only way to get these working is to turn off the "Create mobile account" ones, then manually create an account once the user logs in (with a local administrator on hand to elevate when prompted).

AD user with no home directory does not work correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.