Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my firewire hard drive unmounting when my computer goes to sleep. This has happened since I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

I have noticed that since installing mountain lion, often my computer often warns me that the firewire drive has been ejected incorrectly. I think that it happens when it goes to sleep, is this a known issue? is anyone else having this probelm? How can I fix this?

I am using a LaCie Quadra. An older model.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 8:41 AM

5 replies

Aug 22, 2012 9:35 AM in response to SnakeDog

I am having better working relationship with external Firewire disks and Mountain Lion after doing the following hoop jumping:

Reset SMC as described in http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Resetting-The-Smc-System-Management-Con troller-On-Your-Mac.htm

Basically shut down the OS, unplug electrical connection, hold in power button for fifteen seconds, reconnect power and then power up again.

I then launched Disk Utility (under Utilities in Applications) and performed a repair permissions on my startup disk.

In my experience, it fixed some permissions on files in System-Library-Extensions-IOFirewWreFamily.kext

Afte another restart, things have been better.

I have had a disk disappear with a "Eject without doing the right thing" message. When I power cycled the disk, it reappeared.

For now I am happy that Time Machine works.

Hoping Apple supplies a solid fix.

Dec 26, 2012 8:05 AM in response to SnakeDog

try it with a different firewire chord.

back up your drive when it is connected before you continue to trouble shoot your issue.

try using a different firewire hard drive and see if that does the same thing.

open disk utility and find your drive. verify and repair disk and permissions.

sometimes the inclosures for the drive start to fail, you may want to look into a new chord, external inclosure.

good luck

Back everything up!!!!!

Jan 16, 2014 8:49 AM in response to SnakeDog

I think I solved this problem. My Hard drive has an 'off, on and auto' switch. I had it on auto and when the computer would go to sleep it would turn off the HD and freak out that the drive was unplugged...

I turned the switch to 'on' and it's been fine for months. I guess I can't save the electricity by turning it to auto...

Why is my firewire hard drive unmounting when my computer goes to sleep. This has happened since I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.