Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move a folder from my pc to my ipad?

I have a large folder with multiple sub folders which are in turn full of files that I would like to transfer to my ipad. There are too may files to do this one file at a time and then reorganize them back into folders. Putting it in the cloud is not a good option for me because I'm not always somewhere that I have cell or wifi to retrieve them. I need them to reside on the ipad. Is this even possible to do with and ipad?

iPad, iOS 5

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 9:14 AM

It's not possible unless you can find a third-party app that supports such an arrangement for the type of documents you have. iOS devices do not have a computer-type file structure, so there's no way to have documents in folders in the OS itself.

Regards.

10 replies

Jul 27, 2012 9:20 AM in response to tcanini

You cannot transfer the entire folder of files with the sub folders of files in it. The iPad does not have the same type of folder structure that a computer has. IPad documents reside in the apps that are used to create or edit those documents. You cannot just drop a folder of mixed document types onto the iPad.

You can email files a several at a time, you can upload a folder of documents into an DropBox account and then send them to the compatible apps on the iPad that will work with those document types or you can use iOS file sharing in order to documents of the same type into the compatible iPad app.

DropBox or another cloud sync app might be your best bet if you want to move a lot of files at once. When you open them in DropBox, you can then use the Open In option to send the documents into the apps that they are compatible with on the iPad.

Jul 29, 2012 5:00 PM in response to varjak paw

Thanks to varjak paw and Demo,

It would appear that apple does not want to give away too much control of the file structures. Even a top rated app such as 'good reader' has a disclaimer in their discription "cannot move folders only files". I was evaluating the iPad as a possible tool for my technicians in the field. This problem looks like its a deal breaker for the iPad. I guess it's back to the playbook.

Jul 29, 2012 5:00 PM in response to Demo

Thanks to varjak paw and Demo,

It would appear that apple does not want to give away too much control of the file structures. Even a top rated app such as 'good reader' has a disclaimer in their discription "cannot move folders only files". I was evaluating the iPad as a possible tool for my technicians in the field. This problem looks like its a deal breaker for the iPad. I guess it's back to the playbook.

Mar 18, 2014 5:12 PM in response to tcanini

This is really easy. Just take the Windows folder and compress it (right click the folder and "send" it to compressed). Then open up your email program and send it as an attachment to yourself. After that open up your Ipad and check your email. Open the email you sent yourself and download the attachment. To make life easier your should have picked up the app Goodreader.and select that as the app you want to open it with,

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/

Nov 15, 2016 6:09 AM in response to badapple122

badapple122 wrote:

Buy Android. Apple just can't do this simple task.

It would appear you simply didn't do your homework when buying a device. iOS has always had a strong, wholly sandboxed security model with no access to a centralized file storage system by 3rd party apps. This is by design and dates all the way back to 2007 with the first iPhone and before the operating system was even named iOS.

It is not a matter of Apple can't do this - they have chosen to, and specifically desgned iOS to NOT do that in the interests of enhanced security for their mobile devices.

If that security model fails to meet your needs then yes, you should find an alternate device and operating system. But complaining that iOS cannot do something it has been explicitly and consciously designed not to do is ridiculous.

How do I move a folder from my pc to my ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.