Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyway to get the Lion transparent dock in Mountain Lion?

I'm not really a fan of the new 'opaque' dock look in Mountain Lion. I much prefer the glossy transparent dock look found in Lion. Anyway to get it back?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 9:53 AM

10 replies

Jul 27, 2012 10:03 AM in response to MichaelT0429

If you actually look closely at the old dock, it too was Opaque but reflected more clearly because "the surface" was smooth.

This surface is frosted and the colors get dispersed and saturated. (I like it) This dock is more like the glass on my trackpad, where as there was nothing that resembled the dock of yore on my apple computer. This is creative consistency in my opinion.

Both docks were Opaque though, I don't know why people assume it was transparent. It wasn't.

Nov 20, 2012 4:46 PM in response to Dominique_v

First of all Thank you for communicating. This is on the right track of what I am looking for I used Docker on Snow leopard and Lion, and was able to get an invisible dock, but it was 3D and had no outline around the Dock

it looked just like you would see if you created a folder on the Desktop, just the folder icon, name & info if selected below the iCon, surrounding this is just whatever the Desktop backround setting is. I personaly think it is much cooler, and better looking just by seeing the icons and not shelf or whatever it is called (probably, dock, but the icons being a grouped item would also be the dock). I will continue to search and if I find what I am trying to explain, I will surely pass it on. I can't believe after seeing what I am trying to convey that anyone would not like the look, but if so you could always use one of the standard dock look.

Thanks again

Feb 6, 2013 1:49 AM in response to MichaelT0429

If you wish, you can customize the Dock yourself. All you need is an image editor that supports PNG with transparent background, such as Photoshop, Gimp, or Seashore.

-- Make a backup copy of Dock.app (at /System/Library/CoreServices) by copying it to some other location.

-- Right-click the original Dock.app and choose "Show Contents".

-- At /Contents/Resources, drag copies of the PNG files to a folder on the desktop. Do not dig into any of the inner directories or mess with any files except PNG.

-- Start customizing. For example, to make an element transparant, select all, delete, save.

-- When you think you have botched, er, completed your customizing, drag the new files back to the Contents/Resoruces and agree to Authenticate with password, and to replace all.

-- Open Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions.

-- In Terminal, type killall Dock (case sensitve) and press return... or...

-- Log out, log in.

If you do something really bad, you can replace the misfit Dock.app with your backup.

Software Update could reverse your handiwork, so if you like the new Dock.app, copy it to some "System stuff I customized" folder.

Anyway to get the Lion transparent dock in Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.