Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

local 'on my mac' calendars, notes and reminders missing in Mountain Lion

Hello

I recently updated from Lion to Mountain Lion and have noticed I no longer have the option to create a new calendar 'on my mac' anymore. My only option when trying to create a new calendar is to make it an 'icloud' calendar.

User uploaded file

Alongside this missing option, I have noticed that 'on my mac' folders that appeared in the new Notes and Reminders applications when I first opened them have also gone missing.

I'm not certain, but they might have gone missing when I temporarily signed out of my icloud account in system preferences.

Is there any way to get back 'on my mac' calendars and folders in these three applications?

OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 10:55 AM

34 replies

Jul 27, 2012 12:58 PM in response to applefandan

I just tried the steps you suggested applefandan. After creating a new calendar with icloud off, turning it back on again just merges it back into the icloud calender. No success there.

However, your steps were successful with the new Notes application. I now have both 'iCloud' and 'On My Mac' folders listed again.

User uploaded file

There was a pop-up confirmation window when I reopened Notes with iCloud turned back on asking me something along the lines of whether I wanted to keep notes on my mac or merge them with icloud. I can't remember the exact wording.

The same didn't happen for the new Reminders application though.

Jul 27, 2012 6:56 PM in response to Mijko

I have upgraded to Mountain Lion, but I use iCloud for all of my calendars, so I don't create any on my mac calendars. I just checked and it seems that I do not have the option as well. I was just guessing at some things I would try if I were trying to get it to work. Sorry but I don't think I have any more ideas for you. Hopefully someone else may be able to help you. If not, you can try contacting AppleCare and/or send apple feedback at apple.com/feedback.

Jul 28, 2012 5:45 AM in response to Mijko

I'm having the same problem. No ability to create local calendars in Calendar at all.

The reason I think I *need* local calendars is that for years I have published several of them to CalDAV servers (so non-iCloud people can subscribe to them), and this has now broken.

Can anyone suggest how to publish a calendar to a CalDAV server now?

Jul 28, 2012 5:50 AM in response to dburren

Aaaaand, I just found the answer.

In Calendar->Preferences->Acccounts, disable iCloud.

Then create a new calendar, giving it a name that doesn't conflict with any of the calendars in your iCloud.

Then re-enable the iCloud account.

The new calendar (under "On My Mac") remains.

Everything seems to be working normally from here on. I just need to move the relevant calendar contents back over from where they were put into iCloud, and re-publish these calendars. A bit of a pain, but at least I have a way forward.

Jul 28, 2012 6:14 AM in response to Mijko

Mijko wrote:

Alongside this missing option, I have noticed that 'on my mac' folders that appeared in the new Notes and Reminders applications when I first opened them have also gone missing.

Is there any way to get back 'on my mac' calendars and folders in these three applications?

Mijko, I am curious... did the above steps getting your calendars to function properly also bring back your 'on my mac' notes? I was able to get 'on my mac' to show up again in my Notes app but my notes are not there, it's just empty.

Jul 28, 2012 6:30 AM in response to dburren

dburren wrote:

The reason I think I *need* local calendars is that for years I have published several of them to CalDAV servers (so non-iCloud people can subscribe to them), and this has now broken.

Can anyone suggest how to publish a calendar to a CalDAV server now?

in ML iCal Preference -> Accouunts, it now says CalDAV under your iCloud account.... I haven't tried it, but it looks like non-iCloud people can subscribe.... if you test this out, plese let us know....

Jul 28, 2012 1:30 PM in response to sildani

Hi sildani.

I haven't managed to get my 'on my mac' calendars to function yet.

Regarding the Notes app, I didn't actually have any notes stored in an 'On My Mac' folder before it went missing. So... when I got 'On My Mac' folders to reappear, it obviously didn't contain any notes has I had none to begin with. I just wanted the ability to store notes on my mac should I wish to at some point in the future.

Jul 28, 2012 1:50 PM in response to Mijko

Ah ha! Success with Calendars 'On My Mac'

After following dburrens steps, I got them to appear again.

I think it's important to make sure you only disable the iCloud account from inside Calendars preferences, and not actually completely sign out from iCloud from within system preferences (which is what I tried before following applefandan's first suggestion).

Now I only have 'On My Mac' folders missing from the new Reminders application, which is where I'd would make most use of them. Has anyone got them to reappear there?

local 'on my mac' calendars, notes and reminders missing in Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.