Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are dictation commands not working?

Are commands within dictation not working fully? Is there a list of valid commands you can use to work in dictation? I can't figure out how to delete text and it will not let me start a new paragraph or a new line in a word document.

I am running ML, dictation is enabled and running.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 11:08 AM

There're no commands. This is not like Siri. You can only use it to dictate text to another app.

Sorry.

9 replies

Jul 27, 2012 11:16 AM in response to Elizabeth Hatt

You can create a new line by saying new line. Speak punctuation and it will by entered. You can also say all caps and all caps off to turn caps on/off. You can't delete text as you are dictating it.

There are a few others too, like if you say smiley face it will type :-). I don't know if there is an official list, but if you search online you may be able to find one.

Aug 3, 2012 10:36 PM in response to Elizabeth Hatt

I have been using Mountain Lion for a few weeks and I really enjoyed using the voice dictation tool. Everything was going fine up until the last few days when commands like "new line", "new paragraph", "cap", "all caps" stopped working. Most of the other punctuation and "smiley" commands work - but the important ones not don't.

Is there a fix for this problem?

Are dictation commands not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.