Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I create a group alias for main domain and virtual domain?

I have two domains setup.

I need to create a group mailing list that can recieve mails at group@virtualdomain1.com

There will be members in this group from domain1.com and virtualdomain1.com

I used to be able to do this easily, but I can't seem to do this in Mountain lion Server.

Any thoughts?

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 11:45 AM

4 replies

Aug 3, 2012 5:20 AM in response to jonathanfrom佐倉市

All of this is doable by manipulating postfix underneatht the hood. I haven't seen what file Mountain Lion specifically creates when you turn on virtual hosting, but traditionally these kind of mappings are stored in /etc/postfix/virtual. You need to postmap the file after making changes and restart postfix.

Jonathan, mailman is seemingly no longer included in OS X Server whicih would ahve been perfect. That means you need to manually build your list in /etc/postfix/virtual or install a 3rd party solution as far as I'm aware. In /etc/postfix/virtual, you could so something like:

group@virtualdomain1.com user@domain1.com, user1@virtualdomain1.com, user3@host.com

Levin, you don't want to do a catch-all, but if you insist, assuming it's with a virtual domain, you'd put in

@domein.com owner@domein.com

When done, run:

postmap /etc/postfix/virtual

postfix reload

Do all of this as root or using the sudo command. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably shouldn't do it.

How can I create a group alias for main domain and virtual domain?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.