Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail attachments and Mountain Lion

Anyone tell me whether the upgrade to Mountain LIon is known to be messing about with the process of adding attachments to Mail messages.

I send a lot of photos in jpeg format. These are usually around 500kb in size. Since the Mountain Lion upgrade, if I add, say, two photos to a message, Mail tells me the total size of the message is just 10kb.

If I exit Mail and start it up again, it works fine, and shows a message size more appropriate to something containing a couple of 500kb jpegs. However, this is hit and miss. Sometimes it needs me to restart my iMac before it works.

All was fine before the Mountain Lion upgrade, and as far as I can tell, nothing else is wrong following the upgrade.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Tom

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 11:57 AM

7 replies

Jul 30, 2012 2:19 AM in response to Tomp2

A little bit more about this.

It seems particularly a problem if I try to attach the photos to a message to which I am replying. If I create a new message from scratch, the problems seems not to be there, but every time I use "Reply", the message size shows as "10kb" regardless of how many attachments I have added.

If I type my reply text, delete the text of the original message, exit Mail and then come back in again and add the attachments to the message, everything works properly too, but it ought not be this way, and wasn't this way, before the Mountain Lion upgrade.

Ideas?

Tom

Jul 30, 2012 3:26 AM in response to Tomp2

This is a bug in Mt Lion, and was present in the beta but I think not found in time for the final release.

There is a workaround.

When you attach a photo, you will get in the top right of the message window a toggle box that defaults to "actual size"

User uploaded file

If you toggle this to another size and back it will show the actual size image size as it should. Also it you have multiple accounts you can send from, then you can toggle that too, and it will do the same.

Sep 13, 2012 10:08 AM in response to parna

Mountain Lion / Macmail Bugs:

Here is what I know so far:

When originating the email, with attachments, from iPhoto: Mail won't send if even one png attached. Mail WILL send if 1 jpeg attached, but not multiple jpegs. Someone at Apple told me that this is because I am using iPhoto 09, and "MtLion was not designed to work with" 09. He suggested, but would not guarantee, that these problems will disappear if I upgrade myiPhoto. Thus, forced obsolescence. Too bad... I like iPhoto and iMovie 09. It's not the cost that has kept me from upgrading. (Can anyone with new iPhoto and Mt. Lion tell me whether these problems exist for you?)

When originating the email from the mac email app: The attachment size adjuster is there sometimes, but is not there at other times. This is true even for a new email, not just a reply.

Jan 25, 2013 5:18 PM in response to Robert Arnold5

I can't send an email from iPhoto at all now that I upgraded to Mt. Lion - I just got ML today and discovered the problem. I get a message that:

Your email did not go through because the server did not reply.

Check your Internet connection. If the connection is working properly, the email server may be down. Try sending your email again later.

There is nothing wrong with my internet connection and my mail is working fine. Please don't tell me that this is a permanent bug in Mt. Lion!!

Mail attachments and Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.