Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to host a website using Mac server.

I want to use Mac server and host company website. I need real details on setting and choosing whatever it is I'm to choose. I have someone else dont everything, and i know want the freedom to change and modify my web page when i need to.

iMac, OS X Server

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 12:16 PM

2 replies

Jul 27, 2012 11:08 PM in response to Wetland Equipment

Well, that's easy to do! But I was not happy with what came with macmini lion server, so I installed MAMP Pro and that's fantastic for setting up wordpress/drupal/joomla etc sites. Highly recommended... if you don't go the MAMP route and need Mysql u will wind up installing mysql / PHP admin and then compiling an extension or two... nothing short of a pain in the butt... but MAMP does it all...

Jul 28, 2012 12:21 AM in response to Wetland Equipment

I need real details on setting and choosing whatever it is I'm to choose.

You want someone else to tell you what it is you want...? How are we supposed to know?

You haven't given any details as to what you want your web server to do.

Is it just static content? or dynamic (e.g. blogs, newsfeeds, etc)

Who's designing the web site? (that will go a long way to dictating what software you need on the server)

Who's maintaining the site?

Where is the server going to be hosted? In your office? or are you putting it in a datacenter?

If in the office, do you have sufficient bandwidth in the office to support this?

In short, there are way more questions that need to be answered before you can determine whether Mac OS X Server is the right fit for you.

I want to host a website using Mac server.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.