Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting phone numbers in Contacts?

Pre-Mountain Lion, Address Book (now Contacts) had the ability to customize how phone numbers were displayed based on matching a pattern. I had several definitions, because I deal with phone numbers in many countries. Also, I prefer periods instead of dashes or slashes to split up pieces of the phone number.

But, I can't find that functionality any more. Has any one else seen it?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 1:26 PM

16 replies

Jul 27, 2012 5:15 PM in response to Zonker in Russia

Mountain Lion now seems to format all phone numbers automatically (as does iOS). In ML this is done by the "PhoneNumbers.framework" which stores all the formatting rules for all countries in a single (binary) file (/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PhoneNumbers.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ Default.phoneformat).

You could try to remove/rename that file to see what happens (though code signing might not like you changing that file) or even to change the file itself to have the formats be according to your liking (though the format of that file is somewhat messy…).

AndreasUser uploaded file

Jul 29, 2012 1:27 PM in response to Zonker in Russia

I noticed the same thing. Apple has removed a user option from Address Book in the transition to the new Contacts in OS10.8, and this conforms to the lack of configurability in iOS.

This is absurd for many reasons, not the least being that no one any longer uses parentheses in rendering phone numbers -- least of all on mobile phones which do not distinguish between local and long distnace calls.

This was simply a mistake on Apple's part, and I hope that they will walk it back in a future update. Both OS X and iOS should allow the user to decide how to format each phone number for all contacts.

I suggest that those who agree send feedback on this point to Apple.

Jul 31, 2012 1:45 AM in response to Zonker in Russia

Just found this thread after noticing that Contacts seemed to take all the spaces out of UK phone numbers (even though the iPhone retained them for the same contacts). I managed to get the spacing back by Preferences > General and changing the Address Format to United Kingdom. They all came back automatically, didn't have to manually edit them. Hope that helps!

Dec 7, 2012 5:06 PM in response to Zonker in Russia

I have the same issue. With 10.7, I had all of my domestic phone numbers formatted as: nnn-nnn-nnnn

and now, with 10.8, all of my phone numbers are: (nnn) nnn-nnnn

I live in Denver, CO, and I have seen many locals use the European format: nnn.nnn.nnnn

It would be great if Apple could simply add a Phone Number formatting option to: Languages & Text in the System Preferences. One can already customize the Dates, Times, and Numbers for the entire operating system. Why not add Phone Numbers & Addresses here too?!

Formatting phone numbers in Contacts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.