Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion Update Causes apps to turn Pink?!

Hello,

So I currently have a MacBook Pro With retina Display. I upgraded to Mountain Lion the day it came out, everything worked great. However, today (or possibly yesterday) apple put out an update that enabled Power Nap as well as fixing some problems for MBPRs. I believe it was the SMC Update, but can't find the exact name at the moment.

I installed it, worked fine. Was happy... That is until it turned my machine back on.

Suddenly apps (including native apps such as Safari) had items that were a pink-ish red color. Items in my menu bar were included and even while I write this, items on this page including the top Apple bar are off color pink/red.

I immediately restarted... No luck.

Shut down and turn back on... No luck.

Clear PRAM/NVRAM... No luck.

I am including a screenshot I took:

http://cl.ly/image/2Z2l403Y2s2P

I am currently quite concerned as it is also slowing everything down. I am also out of the country right now, so calling Apple is out of the question for me...

Hoping someone might have some ideas.

Thanks so much

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion, 16 GB. 2.3GHZ.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 1:32 PM

8 replies

Jul 27, 2012 3:00 PM in response to Toon_0812

Ok, I just was able to narrow it down.

In fact Toon was basically/partially right...

To fix this, for anyone else with the issue:

Launch Terminal

Use:

defaults write -g CGContextHighlight2xScaledImages NO

Then the step that wasn't noted in that article was to type: killall Dock

I thought about that once I ran the command and it did work.

It appears that the SMC update automatically set this to be YES. Not sure why as it was set to NO previously.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

Aug 25, 2012 7:38 AM in response to Da BomB

Thank you so much. It was a nightmare not knowing what was causing it. I tried to re-caliber several times, looking for something under color settings. Never thought it could be the Retina Display. What added more confusion to me was, that the same page in Safari and FireFox looked bad, but the same page under Chrome looked perfect.

Your solution helped me, but in order to have Safari to display everything "normal" again, I had to reboot, maybe to clean the cache.

A thousand thank yous to Toon and you.

From Guatemala, Central America.

Mountain Lion Update Causes apps to turn Pink?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.