Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange behavior piping output of /bin/ps ...

Has anyone else run across a dyld warning when piping output from /bin/ps to ?

$ ps -ef | grep awacsd

dyld: DYLD_ environment variables being ignored because main executable (/bin/ps) is setuid or setgid

0 68 1 0 3:15PM ?? 0:00.54 /usr/sbin/awacsd

502 1404 689 0 5:28PM ttys000 0:00.00 grep awacsd

Although it's easy enough to work around, some of my more quick & dirty utility scripts are going to barf on this unexpected warning. I'm betting that I'm not the only one running into this.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 4:34 PM

3 replies

Jul 30, 2012 7:16 AM in response to Linc Davis

Yes I did. Turns out others have noticed this behavior too.

There's a thread on github that links to a ticket in openradar.appspot. Turns out there are currently two options to work-around.

1) Remove the offending DYLD_xxx entries in your .bash_profile (or other similar) config file.

2) Do step 1 and create soft-links in /usr/lib pointing back to the libraries you need.

Did both and now everything's happy again. :-)

Hope my experiences help others !

Aug 7, 2012 4:26 PM in response to Frobitz66

Agree with Frobitz66, I'm using tcsh and needed to do the following in order to remove the warning text from ps, sudo and a few others.

unsetenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

unsetenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH

looked at broken tools then symbolic linked libraries. e.g.

sudo ln -s /usr/local/oracle/instantclient_10_2/libclntsh.dylib.10.1 /usr/lib/libclntsh.dylib.10.1

(remember ln is source then dest - I always have to look that up 🙂 )

Bit of a pain - what is the motivation behind apple adding this warning text ?

Strange behavior piping output of /bin/ps ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.