Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Document sync doesn't work

Hi,

iCloud sync in iPhone, iPad and iCloud.com works perfectly. In Mountain Lion, Pages doesn't work. I get "Waiting" messages, downloading and uploading.

Settings are ok.

Look this image ("Esperando" = "Waiting"):

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/351xwr5.jpg[/IMG]

Can anyone help me???

Thx.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 4:06 PM

26 replies

Jul 29, 2012 3:45 PM in response to rubenbch

I have the same problem here!

It appears to be working after I upgraded to Mountain Lion and all the sudden, it is not functioning. All I get is the same "Waiting" message at the bottom of each document I dragged or created in Pages or any other iCloud compatible apps, like iA Writer. This is extremely annoying and frustrating. What happen to "IT JUST WORKS". Apple should do more test on their devices before making their promise.

I have multiple apple devices and this iCloud documents sharing thing is not just problematic on my MBP and iMac. It does not work properly on iPad 2 and iPhone 4 as well. All I get is that silly "uploading" arrow on the top right corner of the documents I created on my iOS devices. I am now trying to restore the iOS devices (Which should never happen if the software is well designed and tested) and see if it can solve the problem as many people suggested online. But I don't know how to deal with it on my iMac and MBP. I don't want to restore my computers!!

Please if someone could share their idea of how to repair this ridiculous design flaw!

Aug 2, 2012 11:49 AM in response to rubenbch

Exactly the same in my case. I have evalueted diferents aspect like router ports, possible daemons blocking icloud, etc. but without success. In fact I can check in the net that it is a common problem for a lot of Mac users.

Please Apple help us !!!! , we have spent our money in MLion, Kynote, Pages, etc. and we are in status "waiting" for your solutions

Aug 2, 2012 3:28 PM in response to rubenbch

I had this problem. My case was worse. iCloud on iPad, iPhone were not functioning as well. I solved the iDevices problem by completely restore the system from iTunes. (Did restore from iCloud, not working).

For the Macs, I tried the solution posted on iA Writers website:

In Finder, click library in "Go" menu while holding "Option", under Application Support, find the folder Ubiquity and delete it. Then restart the Mac. I did sign out my iCloud account first though. Restart and sign back into your iCloud account. The problem should be resolved.

To say a bit more. You may also find, before you delete the folder completely, under the Ubiquity folder, there might be a funny folder named "FFFFFF-FFFFF-FFFFF-FFFFF" something like that. I think that is the one causing the stupid trouble. Don't know why it happened, but to me, this is more like an error that only services in BETA phase will have. Or it is caused by the upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion. Either way, Apple failed me.

Aug 9, 2012 10:23 AM in response to rubenbch

I am having the same problem on my iMac. It was suggested to me to switch from my wired connection to my wireless connection.

When I did that, all of my documents became synced!

Just to make sure that my wired connection isn't blocking iCloud traffic, I switched back to my wired connection and everything works fine.

If, however, I restart the computer or log out, I have to do the whole process again. (Switch from wired to wireless and then back to wired.)

I am chalking this up to a .0 release. Maybe this will be addressed in 10.8.1.

Aug 10, 2012 9:06 AM in response to rubenbch

Same problem over here. Documents created on my Mac get a 'Waiting' status. Sometimes documents created on iPhone Pages show up on my iPad Pages but not on my Mac. Or every possible combination. Docs created on my iPad not showing up on other devices. So far Mountain Lion's 'Documents in the Cloud' is totally unreliable. In my case it simply does not work.

Aug 11, 2012 9:17 AM in response to ee

I had no sync for "documents and data" with icloud under Mountain Lion.

My remedy is a little automator script (Shell-Script) which kills the ubiquity daemon (ubd) and which I start after every reboot:

a=`ps -x | grep ubd | awk 'NR==1 {print $1}'`

kill -9 $a

The daemon restarts automatically and all syncronisation is fine until the next reboot.

You can also kill the ubd process using the activity monitor or using terminal and type the lines above manually.

Unfortunately I have no idea why this works and why the ubd can not work correctly before it is killed. Maybe it starts to early and annother process is blocking it?

Aug 16, 2012 12:19 AM in response to rubenbch

After another hour of testing this iCloud feature I have decided to turn off 'Documents & Data' on my Macs and iOS devices and continue to use Dropbox as my main documents and data cloud. The iCloud is perfect for bookmarks, contacts, calender syncing etc., but not yet ready for documents and important data.

I'm also glad to see that after turning off 'Documents & Data', apps like Pages, TextEdit and iA Writer simply open a blank document again when you open the application. The iCloud 'open files' dialog started to annoy me after one day of Mountain Lion usage. Turning off 'Documents & Data' brings back the original behavior.

O, and the iWork Team has contacted me (and I guess others in this discussion) about this issue, so they are investigating! I hope they'll solve it soon, cause if you use this iCloud feature you simply have to be able to trust that files you save to the cloud on one OS/iOS device turn up as usable files on another. Which isn't the case right now.

Aug 16, 2012 5:50 PM in response to rubenbch

Same issue here. I just left my home where I had my iMac sitting with Pages open. Some documents are stuck as is well documented in examples above. Seems to be worse with Numbers and Pages, though I only tried to sync 4 documents in Keynote (I have a lot and they are HUGE, so I am keeping them out of the cloud) and of the 4, one got stuck and I had to delete it.

I currently am sitting here with my MBP, my iPad and iPhone open to Page and am looking at all of them. No documents are open. I am on WiFi in the hotel, and I've watched an entire episode of SportsCenter. No changes.

I have 6 documents stuck on one, five on another, and 4 on another one. Same documents. I've tried making copies of problem documents, which has worked at times in the past (the copy document uploads but the original doesn't) to have it switch over that the original would actually upload and the copy would get stuck. I've tried creating documents on the Mac and on iOS and can find no theme. Mac-created documents have problems syncing, even from iMac to MBP, and iOS as well.

I can see no rhyme or reason to it all.

I did notice that there is a similar issue in the ByWord iCloud syncing option with a stuck document. ByWord works most of the time, but for every 10 documents I have 2 that will get stuck.

What does work is DropBox. I know Apple is pushing iCloud, but there are a lot of power users that would prefer a DropBox tie-in, instead of the workaround we are using now which is a pain and hinders workflow. I love Apple's stuff and, for the most part, their programs are built around the notion of increasing workflow. It is a point of pride for Mac users when we show off to our PC co-workers how fast we are in creating/editing/posting etc... Yet keeping purely to the iCloud model, without other options (send to external app, drop box support, etc...) seems more against the Apple philosophy than supporting it. But hey... what do I know.

I am eagerly awaiting the patch to this. As it stands I've all but ceased using Pages and Numbers at all, choosing instead plain text writers like ByWord. And Keynote is too central to my job, so I'll keep using it. But I push the limits beyond what iPad Keynote can do and so iCloud for Keynote is not even a possibility for a Keynote power user like me with DropBox and my MBP.

Aug 16, 2012 6:57 PM in response to rubenbch

It isn't a Pages thing, but it is an iCloud thing. I just did a test in ByWord (which I have set to sync on iCloud).

I am sitting in a hotel room with my MBP, iPhone, and iPad all up and running on the wifi here. It has a decent speed and I'm able to stream videos without lag.

I created a plaintext file on each device. I titled it 'created on X' and named it accordingly. The content of the plain text file is 'this is a test'.

On the iPhone.

Each three documents are there in the list. I cannot access the iPad document and I get an error. I can open the MBP document.

On the iPad.

Each three documents are there in the list. I cannot access the iPhone document and I get an error. I can open the MBP document.

On MBP. I (naturally) see the correctly titled MBP document, but the other two are entitled "untitled1.txt" and "untitled.txt". I cannot open those two documents.

----test----

Created another 'created on X again.txt' document on both ipad and iphone. I then deleted the original problem document from each source.

Weirdness. As I was naming the document on the iPhone... as I was typing the title I got an error message that two versions were in conflict, the iPhone and the MBP and to choose one. At that point all I had typed was 'creat'. The app crashed and I restarted. There was the list of 7 documents on my iPhone with three of three starting with 'created on' but only 1 document named 'creat' and this one had a red C on the corner letting me know it had a conflict. I selected it and finished naming it to 'created on iphone again.txt' and the conflict was resolved. There was NO document present on MBP.

iPhone.

The 'created on the ipad again.txt' document did not come over. It is 'untitled.txt'. I selected it to download and it went into 'downloading item' mode on the bottom of the app and in the top bar. Until I did this (after 15 minutes of looking at it) there had been no visible downloading activity on the iPhone. After five minutes of 'downloading item...' it stopped trying. I selected the document again and it started downloading again.

The origional 'created on the ipad.txt' document was deleted from the iPad. However it is still listed on the iPhone.

iPad

The 'created again on the iPhone.txt' document is visible but cannot be viewed, another error. The 'created on the iPhone again.txt' document is visible but cannot be viewed, giving me an error.

The original 'created on iPhone.txt' is still present, though I deleted it on the iPhone.

MBP

I only got 1 document to show up and it is entitled 'untitled.txt'. I do not know from which iOS device it is from. I cannot open it.

All in all I've lost what little faith I had in iCloud syncing and I've watched/listened to 3 straight Sportscenter episodes. I hope Urlacher's knee will hold out this year.

Aug 16, 2012 7:47 PM in response to rubenbch

Just did a webdav service where I synced a much longer philosophy term paper I created on my iMac and had stored in iCloud (and which was not syncing). I moved it into a DropBox folder and used a web dav service (I wont name it because I'm not trying to plug anyone). I accessed the document on the iPad, added a line at the end and sent it back to Drop Box within Pages. I then did this on the iPhone. No problems. I then opened it up on MBP and it came up fast and easy with the two added lines from each iOS device.

Yep, until I hear that this syncing issue has been resolved I will no longer use iCloud syncing. I'm turning it off of not only iWork but also ByWord, which works great now that I am syncing with DropBox.

Document sync doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.