Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator bugs: freezing after Take Video Snapshot action

Hi there-

Just testing out some of my automator workflows, and it seems that some basic (built-in) automator actions no longer function under Mountain Lion.

Running the action "Take Video Snapshot" pops up a mini window that can take a user's photo. Running the action causes Automator to hang immediately after the action attempts to save the image.

Modifying the action's settings has no effect- take photo automatically drives automator right into freezing once the photo is snapped. Manually taking the photo causes the freeze to happen right when the user clicks 'Done'

Could someone please re-create and verify that this isn't isolated to my machine? I'd super appreciate it.

Getting frustrated with Automator since Lion- they keep breaking more and more Automator actions with each OS update, it seems.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 5:46 PM

6 replies

Aug 12, 2012 4:02 PM in response to slouchsock8

Having the same issue. I tried to get around it by tethering a camera in automator and using the 'Take Picture' action. But then you get a different error if you try to use the action more than once:

Cannot update for observer <AMWorkflow 0x4001d9c20> for the key path "parameters.name" from <TakePicture 0x401042700>, most likely because the value for the key "parameters" has changed without an appropriate KVO notification being sent. Check the KVO-compliance of the TakePicture class.

Called apple because these support threads seem to take forever, they directed me to https://developer.apple.com (after asking what manufacturer I got the program from...uh, you?). I have seen a lot of posts with the tethering error, not so many with our 'Take Video Snapshot' error, but I assure you that it is not unique to your computer!

Hope they catch autmator up with the new OS, not everyone uses it but those who do REALLY use it.

Aug 22, 2012 4:07 PM in response to graemeyer

graemeyer wrote:

Hope they catch autmator up with the new OS, not everyone uses it but those who do REALLY use it.

So very true...I've got lots of bummed people on the web that can't use my automated photobooth printer for weddings/parties/etc.

Not even sure what to try as a next step, other than to just wait for Apple...perhaps getting other ML users trying to use my workflow to send a friendly note to Apple asking them to try to recreate the lockup...

😟

Oct 25, 2012 3:48 AM in response to slouchsock8

Have the same problem on one of my Mountain Lion machines but others seemed to be fine. I then found out that creating a new user on the faulty machine it would work with no problems. Try creating a new user and see what happens.

Also tried to delete Automator preferences several times but that did not fix the issue. Also replaced the entire Library folder for the non working user with that of the new user. It worked ok after that so the fault is inside the Library folder but do not know which one. Any ideas?

Dec 21, 2012 10:32 AM in response to slouchsock8

I'm facing the same problem. At first, the video snapshot feature worked for me, but right now if I try to make use of the video snapshot feature on the workflow, automator either goes to the NOT RESPONDING state or the app crashes.

When I tried creating it as an application, I'm experiencing the same crash.

Please, somebody help me with this issue!

Automator bugs: freezing after Take Video Snapshot action

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.