Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong reply-to address sent on a reply

I caught this error just now but it's been going on since the upgrade.

The wrong email address is going out when I reply to messages all of a sudden.

An email comes in to a specific email account I have. When I hit reply, I expected the reply to will match the same email address used to contact me. But now my email address is suddenly changing on me and I see no setting in Apple Mail 6 to use the same email account when sending replies as the account used to contact me with.

Am I missing a new setting somewhere?

Apple Mail 6-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 6:36 PM

23 replies

Jul 27, 2012 6:44 PM in response to John Kranz

you can still change the reply with in multiple areas of mail, in mail preferences>composing

set how mail deals with email addresses when you respond to an email

User uploaded fileThis specific settings changes depending on which email account the email was sent to.

The other way is, when composing a letter, you can select your email address in the "From" field and choose a different email addres.

Jul 27, 2012 6:46 PM in response to TheSmokeMonster

That's for new messages, not replies.

I just found another posting and response and this has been confirmed as a defect that needs to now be fixed.

Thanks for your response and taking the time to do a screenshot, however.

Of course I don't want to manually have to change the email account back to the proper one that Apple Mail used to do before this bug crept in...that's not a solution but an annoyance.

Jul 27, 2012 6:52 PM in response to Carlo TD

Carlo -- you obviously don't understand at all.

Do you think I really want to MANUALLY have to reset back to the proper email account that my reply should be coming from based on the email used to receive the message.

This is a defect and major annoyance inserted into the program. If you are happy to live with such a defect, good for you. I'm responding to hundreds of member emails a day so I can't sit in the same happy place with you.

Anyway, your reply was not helpful nor appreciated. Good bye.

Jul 28, 2012 9:40 AM in response to Carlo TD

Carlo,

That's NOT the case at all. I am in the same situation. I have multiple e-mail addresses -- and multiple computers. In order to sync my e-mails, I have a rule that moves all the e-mails I receive into the iCloud account.

It used to be the case -- pre-ML -- that when replying to an e-mail, the response would be sent from the address to which the original e-mail was sent. Now, in ML, the response is automatically -- by default -- sent from the iCloud account and not the original address that received the e-mail.

Does that make sense?

It has NOTHING to do with spoofing. It's about organizing and responding with the right e-mail account.

T.

Sep 6, 2012 6:47 AM in response to AuPhalanx

i have the same problem. my emails go to certain folders on my mac. when i click reply it goes uses another email address and i always forget to change it so i send the same messages from different addresses. it only happened after i upgraded to mountain lion. i wish i hadn't if i knew this would happen. do we have a solution?

Sep 24, 2012 7:56 PM in response to John Kranz

I have the same issue and it is extremely infuriating. I did not upgrade to ML and this still randomly happened, although I cannot pinpoint when. And I have made it a point to make sure the correct email address is listed in the from box and mail still selects to send my message from whichever of my 7 email address it wishes. I've resorted to logging into each gmail account directly, annoying.

Sep 27, 2012 3:57 PM in response to BAAI

apple mail is completely broken.

Even after choosing to reply from another email address on a reply to absolutely make sure I reply from the address the email was sent to. Have in mind now, I can see now I am replying from the address I want.

It still sends from the wrong address......................

good job apple, your no google

Sep 27, 2012 4:03 PM in response to rackics

I have submitted a case to Mountain Lion support, which was able to duplicate the problem on its own systems. No promises yet as to when or if this bug will be fixed.

This is not evidence of Mac mail being completely broken. This is a bug . . . hopefully one that Apple will fix shortly.

P.S. "your" should be "you're".

Wrong reply-to address sent on a reply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.