Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion's Privacy Works Great - Carbon Copy Cloner Wants Contact List Access

Mountain Lion Woke Me Up - Carbon Copy Cloner Wants to access my Contact list

I got a message when I launched Carbon Copy Cloner that it wanted to access my contacts list

BYE BYE CCC - UNINSTALLED IT

i have lots of apps, and this one was the only one that broke my trust. How many more will there be.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 8:47 PM

9 replies

Jul 27, 2012 8:59 PM in response to Lady Engineer

What is a profile preference?

Really, it could be something simple like you enter your email address and he tries to populate your name to save you some typing. There are literally hundreds of reasons he could be accessing the address book to be helpful, without malicious intent. I've seen that warning dialog from nearly every iWork application, as well as programs like Things (task management), LaunchBar, Alfred, etc.

Jul 27, 2012 9:09 PM in response to Lady Engineer

Wow, fast answers!

William Kucharski has it right, though: It's asking in order to pre-fill registration fields. This is related to 3rd party application "sandboxing" in 10.8. You can see which apps are using your contacts in Sys Prefs > Security & Privacy > Privacy

If it makes you feel uncomfortable (and it will come up again and again from here on in in OS X), the thing to do is say "No" in the dialogue and continue using CCC and other apps.

Mountain Lion's Privacy Works Great - Carbon Copy Cloner Wants Contact List Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.