Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sleep wake problem

My 2011 MBA, and 2009 MBP both have problems with sleep, and waking. The MBA no matter what kind of sleep it goes into it wakes with a blank screen. Using deep sleep on my MBP it reboots when it completes wake up. (aka crash) Otherwise I can hibernate that one.

Oh if you attempt to deep sleep the MBA it drains the battery, and remains on for over an hour later. Also gets really hot, and no fan kicks on at all.

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 8:44 PM

9 replies

Jul 28, 2012 9:46 PM in response to ellisonjay

I suspect now that some widgets, and apps are setting bad hibernatemodes.

source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4149260

I used pmset -g, and it said I was in hibernatemode 5. I set this (sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0) closed the lid, and it came back up. I set it to 3, and the same. I moved over to my widget, and set it. Checked my mode, and it was back to 5.

I used `man pmset` it said to only use mode 0, 3, and 25! No others! I again set it (sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25) this time to 25, and it seems to work fine.

I suspect Apple made changes to their power managment, and disabled older modes. They should have set this correctly in our upgrades, instead of letting us figure it out.

Jul 29, 2012 11:38 AM in response to wkoffel

man pmset at the terminal.

"We do not recommend modifying hibernation settings. Any changes you make are not supported. If you choose to do so anyway, we recommend using one of these three settings. For your sake and mine, please don't use anything other 0, 3, or 25.

hibernatemode = 0 (binary 0000) by default on supported desktops. The sys- tem will not back memory up to persistent storage. The system must wake from the contents of memory; the system will lose context on power loss. This is, historically, plain old sleep.

hibernatemode = 3 (binary 0011) by default on supported portables. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and will power memory during sleep. The system will wake from memory, unless a power loss forces it to restore from disk image.

hibernatemode = 25 (binary 0001 1001) is only settable via pmset. The sys- tem will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and will remove power to memory. The system will restore from disk image. If you want "hibernation" - slower sleeps, slower wakes, and better battery life, you should use this setting."

Aug 23, 2014 2:57 PM in response to wkoffel

No I assure you it is a real mode. It's different to the others because it completely depowers the entire machine. It's very much like the 'Hibernate' function on Windows machines. It's used as a sort of emergency power-down on laptops that have run out of battery power. Slower sleeps and slower wakes but better battery life. Type "man pmset" into terminal (without quotes) and scroll using arrow keys for more info. No idea why it's 25 though, although I've never heard of PM7 either...
*This is all drawn from my own experience and may actually therefore be inaccurate.*

Sleep wake problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.