Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop multiple files from opening at once?

When I click the icon to open word, powerpoint, or excel all of the word files open at the same time. The same goes for the others, if I click on powerpoint-all of my powerpoint files open at once. The only reason pages, numbers and keynote does not do it, is because I don't have any files for those programs. I work mainly from microsof-more comfortable. Someone Please help!!

Things that had an effect on my computer today:

Today, I down loaded Mountain Lion

Today, I deleted all of the down loads from the down load folder

MacBook Pro, Other OS, OSX 10.8

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 8:53 PM

12 replies

Jul 27, 2012 8:58 PM in response to maefromfl

before you exit Word, Excel or Powerpoint, click on the red button on the left hand side of every file that is opening up. That way, if you open Word, Excel or Powerpoint, it starts with one blank page.

also check your prefences in your office apps, Word - preferences - general - take the checkmark off " track recently opened documents " then click ok.....Do the same with Excel and Powerpoint.

good luck...

Jul 27, 2012 9:01 PM in response to maefromfl

When you restart or shut down you have the option to "Reopen Windows when Logging Back In". Untick this option and neither the applications nor the documents you have open un shutdown will reopen when you log back in. If this doesn't solve your problem, try the Microsoft Office for Mac users forum - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac,

Regards,

Clinton

Jul 27, 2012 9:24 PM in response to Bimmer 7 Series

Let me check - I have Word open now - I have "Track..." open but I thought that was only for "Open Recent..." where I have 10 documents selected. I don't have that problem of opening all those documents as start-up, just the files that I had opened when I shut down or restart (as I have the "Reopen windows..." option ticked).

Did you open the box yet? Whattaya think?

Clinton

How do I stop multiple files from opening at once?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.