Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Quickest way to get up and running!!

I have suffered a SMART failure after lion install as described here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3190026?answerId=19063468022#19063468022

Ideally I want to be able to get my drive working again but if not reinstall my time machine back up from three days ago!

Not against (for speed!) going to pc world and buying a new hard drive but unsure what would most suitable / reliable one would be if anyone can point me in right direction (a chance to upgrade tp 2tb!)

then:

If there's a technician /repair centre who can put it in for me

Any recommendations? I live j31 of m1 near chesterfield.

As you can see from my post I reinstalled lion successfully for it to last a few days (command r)

Or are there any other tricks/guides I could follow to get back up and running?!

Much appreciated, I have web work to do and laying on my mac and wished I had never heard of lion now....

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2010 july

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 11:52 PM

4 replies

Jul 28, 2012 10:49 PM in response to BDAqua

I managed to install time machine back onto the hard drive, so its up and running but system shows hard drive SMART status as failing..... (back up even further to retrieve even more!!)

Any advice where i can go from here? Would an update or buying Mountain lion fix this?

is the SMART status true? The drive was checked and verified before LION install and I truly believe it was this install thats fragged my drive

Location - near J31 of the M1 UK.

Do you know the replacement drive i need to buy, my imac says LATE 2009 8GB model with ATI radeon HD4850 512mb graphics

Would this be Ok:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wd-internal-3-5-sata-hard-drive-2tb-09809632-pdt.h tml

Appreciate the help....

Jul 28, 2012 10:59 PM in response to groovycatmedia

SMART & checking the Disk Structure are two different things, last time I saw a SMART failure for just 2 blocks, it was days before total collapse, you just can't tell other than the Drive is failing, when is a guess, great you have a backup! 🙂

I like WD Black Drives, but I'd find an AASP you plan to deal with & ask their advice.

Help! Quickest way to get up and running!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.