Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3 Crashing After 10.8 Mountain Lion Update.

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8. Aperture 3 is now crashing almost every time I open it. Also, the system itself is rebooting randomly after an aperture crash. Anyone experiencing this? I have rebuilt the Aperturen Library 3 times and it keeps crashing. =( Help please.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 2:11 AM

12 replies

Jul 31, 2012 5:47 PM in response to officespace2

I'm having the same problem. I'm running Mountain Lion and since the latest Aperture 3.3.2 it's been crashing on me. A few seconds into it i get the ball of death. Acctually it's not aperture - the whole system crashes on me - freezes up completely and I cannot access any other app - not even the mouse will move. Hard reset required.

I've tried to rebuild library that crashes the system too.

Aug 18, 2012 1:55 AM in response to officespace2

I just posted that I can't even get my iMac to upgrade Aperture to 3.3.2! Maybe I shoudn't even be bothering. Currently with 3.2.2, everything seems to be working fine... but for the life of me, the system wont let me run the update. The App store updater keeps insisting that I have Aperture already purchased and wont run the upgrade. Maybe they have disabled the update since there are so many issues after Mountain Lion??

Sep 10, 2012 1:48 PM in response to Vincent57Th

OK. I'm back up and running great. Vincent57Th, Here are the things you need to do:

1. Back up your computer NOW! If you have an existing backup, keep it untouched for now and get an additional harddrive to backup to just incase something happens during the backup process.
  2. Check your ram before you do anything. If you have upgraded your ram at any point, be aware that Moutain Lion 10.8 is very sensitive to third party ram that might have been slightly out of spec and able to run on 10.7. You need to make sure your ram is "Apple Certified". I had bought cheap Corsair ram on Amazon that worked well under 10.7 but could not handle 10.8. Luckily "Apple Certified" 3rd party ram is only about 5% more expensive and can be purchased from Amazon as well. The first ram I bought was described as "apple compatible ram" but not "Apple Tested" or "Apple Certified". My problem with Aperture expanded to a full blown system problem rapidly and also wound up corrupting some of the file structure of my hard drive.
  3. Attempt to "repair" your harddrive using disk utility or Drive Genius 3. If this fails, attempt to "rebuild". If this fails, Reformat your harddrive and copy from your backup.
  4. Repair/Rebuild your aperture library. (See link here).
  5. If you continue to have problems such as missing faces, try this (thanks dixiesk):

• locate your aperture library
  • right click it & choose 'show package contents'
  • open database/ folder
  • backup everything you see there (e.g. by copying to desktop/aperture-backup)
  • delete *.appdb and *.db (I've also seen people deleting previews / thumbnails)
  • cmd+option click on your library and choose rebuild library... if it's successful, you should see progress like 'x out of y' after few minutes. If not, kill it
  • copy your database part back (e.g. faces.db) to see if it works with your new library

• I really hope this helps. Good luck. Please let us know if this helped.

Aperture 3 Crashing After 10.8 Mountain Lion Update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.