Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant Download Windows support software

I bought a New MBP with Retina Display and upgraded it to Mountain Lion. I am trying to use BootCamp Assist but the progress bar Freezes at a point and i cant download windows support software. Please Help.

BootCamp Version : 5.0

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 2:19 AM

10 replies

Jul 28, 2012 6:46 AM in response to Mahavir Gadhvi

hum, wait for BC 5.01 and ML 10.8.1 if it is anything like 10.7.0 was.

Or give Apple a few days to update their servers.

Try a restart and using Shift key and Safe Boot mode.

General Help:

Boot Camp 4.0, OS X Lion: Frequently asked question

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4818

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.7.pdf

create a Windows support software (drivers) CD or USB storage media

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4407

Advanced Network: Proxy Settings, I uncheck "Auto Proxy detection" and make sure you have the interface you use selected and none others.

"Go into System Preferences - Network - Advanced - Proxies Uncheck "Auto Proxy Discovery", click OK, Apply"

After Unchecking "Auto Proxy Discovery" I also had to Uncheck "Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV)" and then Restart Boot Camp Assistant.

odiggy's comment and tried restarting Boot Camp Assistant. That did the trick, even though the Auto Proxy Discovery checkbox ended up the same as it started. Windows support software is now downloading... if you're downloading to an external drive make sure there's a least 1 GB of free space because the WindowsSupport folder is around 700 MB and presumably will grow with time.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3223773?start=15

Also, Change Domain Name Servers to OpenDNS IP address servers - that should be at the router firewall rather than the OS but may be in both for some people. You may be using the defaults your ISP uses, save those if you want, and try these:

Make sure you are not using LittleSnitch or Symantec (probably other 3rd party firewall)

Jul 28, 2012 7:36 AM in response to GreatGold

The download has been slow all the time for many ever since they went with this method, it is not a temporary all of a sudden happening glitch - though when the 2012 MBP and Air came out the driver downloads were wrong or not working.

Use to be using a universal installer package. Now that is no longer and they are basically "OEM" for the mac you are using (can't use computer at work to download if it isn't the same model).

Direct downloads take under 10 minutes on good connection. So it would seem to point at poor configuration on the host servers and DNS and proxy servers to cause such massive slowdown and throttling.

May 6, 2013 3:37 AM in response to Mahavir Gadhvi

I've been having this exact same problem the last few weeks.

Running 10.8.3, Boot Camp 5.0.2 (462)

All other OSX Firmware & SW up to date

I've got an external HDD connected with 2 partitions, 1 formatted OS Extended (Journaled) & the other 100Gb FAT32 (done with disk utility).

Every time I try download the support SW, it hangs at the point shown below.User uploaded file

I've restarted this process many times & still the same result.

Does anyone have a direct link to download the Windows Support Software? From reading above & other threads, it seems like a poorly managed server on the Boot Camp Assistant end?

May 6, 2013 5:54 AM in response to Lukey Boots

Lukey Boots wrote:

I've been having this exact same problem the last few weeks.

Running 10.8.3, Boot Camp 5.0.2 (462)

All other OSX Firmware & SW up to date

I've got an external HDD connected with 2 partitions, 1 formatted OS Extended (Journaled) & the other 100Gb FAT32 (done with disk utility).

Every time I try download the support SW, it hangs at the point shown below.User uploaded file

I've restarted this process many times & still the same result.

Does anyone have a direct link to download the Windows Support Software? From reading above & other threads, it seems like a poorly managed server on the Boot Camp Assistant end?

Windows Support Software. 5.0.5033

Cant Download Windows support software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.