Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup stuck on Apple logo after upgrading to Mountain Lion and applying SMC update, when connected to an external monitor

MacBook Air 13-inch, Mid 2012

Connected to an external monitor via Micro-DVI-to-DVI adapter

Updated to Mountain Lion this morning. Applied SMC Update with a restart, and got stuck at Apple logo. The external monitor displays a very light grey (dark white).

Forcing a shutdown (by holding down the Power key) and restarting without an external monitor enters OS X normally. Power Nap is available in System Preferences > Energy Saver.

Problem is consistently reproduced when restarting or starting with an external monitor plugged in. Restarts and startups are fine without a monitor attached. I can successfully connect the external display after the system's up and running.

Anyone run into this problem?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 11:35 PM

same here

MacBook Air 13 (Mid 2011), MacBook Air 13 (Mid 2012)

Mountain Lion, SMC Update

power on with external display attached via Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter --> stuck on apple logo or grey screen

use Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter --> system will boot up normally

4 replies

Feb 3, 2013 10:42 AM in response to linju

If you have an NVidia graphics card I found that there is a driver package on the Nvidia website for mountain lion. Following my install of the "CUDA Drivers" I stopped having trouble with my video both from waking from sleep and using an external monitor.

Note: If you go to look for the package you'll seed to just search for "Mountain Lion"

Depending on the model of the video card there are 2 options for drivers.

User uploaded file

Hope you get the same results.

Startup stuck on Apple logo after upgrading to Mountain Lion and applying SMC update, when connected to an external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.