Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Renaming ML install partition on USB disk

I've created a Mountain Lion install disk on a partition on an external USB disk which also has a Lion installer.

Both appeared as Mac OS X Install ESD when mounted in Finder, but I renamed them and this rename persists across unmount/remount.

However, when I reboot holding down the Option key to select the volume to boot from, both of these partitions appear as just Mac OS X so, other than booting from one, I don't know which is which.

From this, I take it that in Finder it is just the mount point (in /Volumes) that has been renamed, not the partition name on the disk?

Is there anyway to rename the actual partition name on the disk?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.6GHz/16GB/512GB

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 4:17 AM

6 replies

Jul 28, 2012 4:28 AM in response to parish_chap

What I do is I set a new icon for those partitions.

open one of these in Preview and then hit cmd+A (select all) and then cmd+C (copy).

now go to where you can see the partitions in finder.

simply right click the partition, say, with Lion installer, and then hit "get info"

at the top left you'll see the generic disk icon. select it, it should highlight when you do. Hit Ctrl+V to paste the PNG to this area, making it the new custom icon.

Do the same steps with ML with an ML icon.

now when you Option boot, you'll see two different icons for the recovery partitions.

you could also hold Cmd R which will take you to the right recovery partition if you are in a specific OS.

So if you were in lion CMD R on boot takes you to Lion RP and the same with ML (respectively).

Here are some images to get you started.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Apr 13, 2013 6:40 AM in response to parish_chap

Hi,

one other way to do it is to use the command line tool "bless":

1. Open Terminal
  2. Type:
    sudo bless --folder /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/ -label "Mac OS Lion Install"

You might need rename the argument after "--folder" with the folder name of where you USB stick is mounted. Feel free to select any text you like for the argument after "-label".

Renaming ML install partition on USB disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.