Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded apps will not finish their installation

I hadn't used the App Store in about a month until yesterday after I installed Mountain Lion, so I can't know for sure whether this would have occured in the month before the upgrade. I cannot get *any* application to install and as soon as one of the apps in question finish downloading a dialog explaining that the app failed to download and to try again from the purchases page (which also doesn't work).

I've restarted, deleted the App Store cache folder, deleted the App Store cookies, and scoured the internet for a solution.

If anyone can figure out where this problem came from I would be extraordinarily grateful.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Thanks!

Nik

Message was edited by: nikmyers [Added second screenshot]

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 4:04 AM

13 replies

Jul 28, 2012 6:51 AM in response to nikmyers

Try turning off the Firewall in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall

And if you have anti virus software installed, you may need to disable that before downloading apps..

A side note.. I see you were trying to download CCleaner.

Third party cleaning utilties are not necessary on Mac and often do more harm than good. Your Mac runs maintenance for you.

Jul 28, 2012 12:22 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I was only downloading it as it was one of the top free apps and I wanted to take a screenshot.

I don't keep firewall or an antivirus running. Sometimes I'll run ClamAV if I'm feeling particularly bored but since it has yet to do anything worthwhile in 6 years it's never very high on my list of priorities.

As for it being a network issue -- I don't have any similar problems with the other computer in the house, the Xbox 360 or the PS3, and downloads from outside of the Mac App Store work fine on this computer (the one in question). Just to make sure all of the bases were covered so far I went ahead and reset everything to no avail.

Perhaps I didn't explain this well enough, but the downloads will complete but they won't "finish"... If that makes sense.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

The first screenshot is what the failed app looks like in Launchpad after I receive the error message and the second one is what it looks like in my Applications folder/stack.

Jul 28, 2012 4:27 PM in response to nikmyers

Yes, I had this issue, too. Same story. I had to wait 24 hours, but then it worked again (after reloading the page).

I downloaded iPhoto and the download finished to 100%, but the installation never started and I saw this red error warning. Wired ... I think it was a corrupt download in my case.

Probably you have just to wait until the error warning disappears.

Jul 28, 2012 5:32 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

After browsing this board again I ran across this thread from a user that had a problem that I also had (and simply hadn't bothered to ask about, luckily). I had no idea that MAS uses the Spotlight index to compile the list of what you have installed and one of the first things I did after upgrading to Mountain Lion was add Macintosh HD to Spotlight's blacklist.

I just removed it from that list and Spotlight has begun the far-too-lengthy indexing procedure once again, so hopefully by the end of this entirely unnecessary three hour wait it will have solved some of the problems I've been encountering.

I really wish there was a way to disable Spotlight outside of Terminal and remove the menu bar icon. I'm fairly sure I've only used it a handful of times in the last six years.

Jul 28, 2012 8:38 PM in response to nikmyers

Just to keep this going so we can potentially figure out my initial problem, I thought I'd update that my previous post worked to stop the Apple ID problem I was having but didn't help to stop the problem I explained in my original post.

This whole thing is quite frustrating simply because it's not a serious enough problem to take all of the time required to install from scratch and pull my documents and applications from a backup, but I know it's going to irritate me to no end for the foreseeable future (especially as fewer developers offer their applications outside of the App Store).

Nov 21, 2012 5:48 AM in response to nikmyers

I also had this problem, but none of the solutions worked. I finally resolved the issue by looking in Console, and I found this entry:

11/21/12 8:13:48.141 AM storeagent[542]: underlyingError Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1100 "The requested URL was not found on this server." UserInfo=0x7fed724f4300 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7fed75394630 "The requested URL was not found on this server.", NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=file:///var/folders/7d/ptxyzbjx29121pm279b9y3vm0000g n/C/com.apple.appstore/407963104/mzps6156376318489886776.pkg/index.sproduct, NSErrorFailingURLKey=file:///var/folders/7d/ptxyzbjx29121pm279b9y3vm0000gn/C/co m.apple.appstore/407963104/mzps6156376318489886776.pkg/index.sproduct, NSLocalizedDescription=The requested URL was not found on this server.}

I simply removed the offending file in Terminal thusly:

mv /var/folders/7d/ptxyzbjx29121pm279b9y3vm0000gn/C/com.apple.appstore/407963104/m zps6156376318489886776.pkg ~/.Trash/

Note that you will need to substitute the file name as it appears in your log. Also note that "rm <file>" would have also worked, but I wanted to play it safe :-)

Once the file was gone, I hit the Install button in the App Store app, it re-downloaded and installed just fine. I hope this works for you!

Downloaded apps will not finish their installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.