Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert DVB-S video to iPhone 4 format

Hi.

I have some DVB-S (satellite recording, MPEG2, MP2) SD video footage which I'd like to convert into a format readable by iPhone (MP4, AAC). The source material is 720x576 (PAL). As a reminder, iPhone 4 has native 960x640 pixels.

So far, I used Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate to convert the video to 960x640, but I don't really like the idea too much because I blow up the original resolution. IMHO this is not very wise since I don't get better video by stretching it.

Questions:

Shall I leave the original resolution (720x576) and let the iPhone do the upscaling to its 960x640 (this would make the video smaller)?

What aboiut iPhone CPU load (hence battery load) when it needs to upscale?

Is there any dedicated software (preferentially freeware) which is better suited than Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate?

So ... which resolution should I consider in my situation?

Many thanks,

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 3:33 AM

3 replies

Jul 29, 2012 12:38 AM in response to geohei

Personally I would leave it in the original. If I'm not mistaken can't you double tap the screen while the video is playing to toggle between full screen and native so if you aren't satisfied with the full screen you should be able to revert back to native(I'm not 100% sure about that). The IOs seems to do a decent job at stretching videos to fit the screen in my opinion.

I say give it a shot before you blow it up. If you're really worried about picture quality the converters you pay for are almost always better than the free ones.

Convert DVB-S video to iPhone 4 format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.