Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is a Late 2006 iMac definitely not able for ML???

Hi,

Has anyone tried to install Mountain Lion on an older iMac or MacBook than the ones listed as compatible?

I have a Late 2006 iMac and am curious if it is definitely not able to run the new OS X or is that just the early developer preview?

Cheers.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 6:17 AM

14 replies

Jul 28, 2012 6:23 AM in response to NeddySeagoon

If Apple does not list it as supported the installer would likely refuse to install once it identified your machine. Of course you could install it on a newer machine, clone to an external and see if it would boot your old machine, but likely even then it might do some kind of hardware check and refuse, or just sit there with a blank screen. Leopard was a case where Apple deemed that certain computers could not run it, but it ended up they could. That was more a speed issue rather than looking for particular hardware support. You could be the tester for Mountain Lion -- on your computer. 😉

Jul 28, 2012 6:24 AM in response to NeddySeagoon

You should know by now that Apple want you to upgrade to one of their new machines at least once every 5 years even if the old machine works perfectly......!

But I do think the relatively short list of compatible machines this time around is a bit worrying. My 2009 Imac probably won't be able to run the next OS after this one if this trend continues!

Jul 28, 2012 6:34 AM in response to Limnos

I

Limnos wrote:

If Apple does not list it as supported the installer would likely refuse to install once it identified your machine. Of course you could install it on a newer machine, clone to an external and see if it would boot your old machine, but likely even then it might do some kind of hardware check and refuse, or just sit there with a blank screen. Leopard was a case where Apple deemed that certain computers could not run it, but it ended up they could. That was more a speed issue rather than looking for particular hardware support. You could be the tester for Mountain Lion -- on your computer. 😉

Sounds nearly as dangerous as being a cash strapped student at Harvard in the '80's when Walter Bishop was doing his thing 😮

I could back up my current hard drive with Time Machine, boot to that and try install ML on it?

I would upgrade my mother's MacBook, but I'm waiting to hear more about the battery life with the new OS X.

Lion is draining the battery much too quickly.

Nov 13, 2012 10:35 AM in response to NeddySeagoon

NeddySeagoon. Thanks for your post. I have the same imac and was wondering / frustrated with the same issue of Mt Lion. Why our machine can run Lion but not Mt Lion is frustrating to say the least. I should be the one that says I need a new faster machine, not Apple. I don't support such a throw-a-way mentality.

But enough of my rant. My question to you is, are you happy with Lion on your late 2006 imac? I'm still on Snow Leopard, due to I'm nervous that Lion will slow my machine down. I had heard Lion like a lot of RAM and since our imac can only go up to 3 gigs, that made me nervious. The only reason for me to upgrade is the whole icloud thing. Right now, my imac isn't syncing with my icloud address book, ical, photos, etc.

Besided the normal web stuff, I edit photos with photoshop and videos with FCP 7.

I would probably stick with Snow Leopard if it wasn't due to all this sycing with icloud thing.

Thoughts?

Nov 13, 2012 2:29 PM in response to Joe Herth

Hi Joe,

I was annoyed at first that I missed out on Mountain Lion by such a small margin.

Now I just want the new iMac .

That isn't possible for a long time yet, and I never want to give up this iMac. It has served me well.

Lion works perfect on this for me. I can't say as I recollect any problems at all.

I have 4 gigs of RAM.

iCloud was also my main reason for updating. 😉

Hope this helps.

is a Late 2006 iMac definitely not able for ML???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.