Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete TextEdit as my default word processing application?

I prefer to use OpenOffice for word processing. Since I downloaded Mountain Lion, my documents now appear in TextEdit. Is it possible to change this?

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 6:11 AM

30 replies

Jul 28, 2012 6:26 AM in response to LindaSMu

I'm assuming you are referring to files with .doc or .docx extensions (and even maybe .rtf or .rtfd).

In Finder, select one such document file (don't open it), CMD+I to 'Get Info'.

In the Get Info popup, you should see an option "Open with:" (if you can't, click the little triangles to expand each option), with a drop-down menu. Choose your preferred Word Processor in the drop-down and then click the Change All button to make that default to all documents of that type.

Repeat for the other file types as necessary. You may have to Relaunch Finder if the file doesn't open with the new application (rare though)

Jul 28, 2012 7:51 AM in response to LindaSMu

Hmm, not sure how the privileges are set up on your machine...

Here's is another way, assuming you are using ML:

Select the document in Finder, right click (control click) to get the contextual menu, choose Open with. A list of typical apps for the doc type would be visible. Don't choose directly from there-instead click on Other at the end of the list. This will open a Choose Application window; select 'All Applications' in the Enable dropdown, choose OOO and check the 'Always open with' option

Jul 30, 2012 10:10 AM in response to LindaSMu

I'm having the same problem, slightly different details. I cannot get rid of Preview as my default app for opening .XLS files after upgrading to Mountain Lion.

I have tried all methods mentioned in this post, I can override for one launch (by checking always use) but if I quit and double click the same doc it reverts back to Preview.

I am the only user account on my machine, I am listed with read/write for these documents, I get no error message. I can select OpenOffice in the pull down from "Get Info" but it immediately reverts back to Preview when I let go.

Jul 30, 2012 10:20 AM in response to Randy Kilwag

I thought my problems were solved, too. Today's problem came with Pages, which I do not have. I could not change the default on it either. The only way I could open the document was to open OpenOffice and drag the file there. Even when I save it as .docx, it still tells me that I can open it only in Pages.

I hope someone has an answer for a universal way to change (and keep) defaults from appearing.

Jul 30, 2012 1:32 PM in response to LindaSMu

To both the posters above, the link describes the 'change all' option in Get Info window which is typically how one can change the default application for a file type as well as set the owner. But in both your cases this does not work.

http://blogmines.com/blog/2012/01/28/how-to-change-file-association-on-mac-os-x- lion/

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3774

Have you run disk utility and checked/repaired permissions?

Jul 31, 2012 2:35 PM in response to Ravindra Holalkere

After much agony 😉, the problem is solved! I received a pop-up message this morning that there was an update available for OpenOffice -- 3.4. I downloaded it and then went back through the steps that you suggested when I first posted. I was able to choose OpenOffice 3.4 and click "Change All." AND IT WORKED!

Again, thank you for showing me how to get to this point! I appreciate it!

How can I delete TextEdit as my default word processing application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.