Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't update Pages or iWork versions

I'm using Mountain Lion, but can't get Pages, Numbers or Keynote to update from their old 'iWork' versions.

Pages version is 4.0.4

Numbers version is 2.0.4

Keynote version is 5.0.4

I can't seem to get any updates...

Anyone have a view as to how to restore the automatic update that has somehow been broken?

I've tried selecting software update - but it returns that all software is up to date... It's not..

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Have a few of these too...

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 7:25 AM

HAve you moved your iWork applications from the Application folder? They should be in the iWork folder in the application folder for being able to do the updates.

6 replies

Jul 28, 2012 8:08 AM in response to fruhulda

Actually just spent 15 mins on phone to Apple Support, and during the call I solved it!

The issue was that I had purchased iWork as a set of disks before the App Store for Mac existed.

As a result, the serial numbers of my disks are not stored on Apples servers - so no automatic update.

Going to: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#iwork

Gives the updates that you can do the old fashioned way...

Apple have logged this as a problem for all those who had iWork or other applications pre-installed on a new machine or who bought disks with iWork or other applications on..

Those who have downloaded Apps from the App Store should have no issues with updates... the rest of us who either pre-dated the App Store but have the Apps loaded - will for now have to seek out any updates and manually update them..

I understand that there is a request internally at Apple to ensure the servers recognise the "non-App Store Apps" and include them in the automatic update, but they are probably waiting until the download bandwidth for Mountain Lion calms down a bit before working on this..

Hope that helps a few...

Jul 28, 2012 8:18 AM in response to Jingling

When you update iWork installed from a disk you use the Software update check, not the AppStore update. The iWork applications have to be in the iWork folder in the application folder for Software update check to being able do the updates.

You never said that you tried to update from the AppStore. The iWork applications from the Cd and those from the AppStore install differently on the computer.

Jul 28, 2012 10:30 AM in response to Jingling

I had no issues at all updating my iWork '09 apps & I know many others didn't either. I had installed iWork '09 from the retail disk purchased in January, 2009. Notification Center in Mountain Lion told me I had several apps to update. The usual cause for users unable to update the iWork '09 suite that was installed from the retail disk or downloaded trial is, as fruhulda said, moving &/or renaming files or folders.

When the Mac App Store went "live" in January, 2011, apps already installed were briefly shown as being installed in the MAS. That was changed shortly thereafter so that only apps purchased through the MAS show as installed.

User uploaded file

Jul 28, 2012 10:44 AM in response to Peggy

Peggy, thanks for the constructive reply - actually, no renaming or moving had happened.

Just seems that the link had somehow been corrupted for Software Update during the transfer to Mountain Lion.

Suspect that this will get resolved over time by Apple - until then I'll just keep an eye on the updates page...

Still trying to get my head around why iCloud/pages implementation won't permit .pdf files to be uploaded - and then read/ text selected in Pages.. Seems like this would make it such a more competitive app...

Anyway - at least Pages is working with iCloud now...

I can't update Pages or iWork versions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.