4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2012 7:27 AM by LMM50
LMM50 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have many contacts on my iMac that are not showing up in iCloud and therefore not showing up on my iOS devices.  I have followed all the suggestions in the "Troubleshooting iCloud Contacts update/setup issues with iOS devices" but the problem persists.  Obviously, I have something set up incorrectly, but I don't know where else to turn.  Suggestions?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10 (84,595 points)

First check that all your settings are correct, that contact syncing is checked on all devices (system preferences > iCloud on a mac and settings > iCloud on a iPhone, iPad or iPod).

Make sure the contacts you are adding are added to your 'iCloud' group and not an 'On My Mac', 'On My Phone' or other non iCloud group (you can do this by checking in groups), non iCloud contacts will not sync.

If you are sure that everything is set up correctly and your contacts are in the iCloud group, you might try unchecking contact syncing in the iCloud settings, restarting your device and then re-enabling contact syncing.

• LMM50 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

In fact, the missing contacts are all in my On My Mac group.  Isn't there a way to push them to the Cloud.  Ideally, I'd like to have everything in the Cloud.  My understanding was that I should be able to use the Cloud as the "holding place" for everything.  If I create a new contact on one of my iOS devices, it goes into the Cloud.  If I create a new contact on my iMac, it goes into On My Mac instead of the cloud?  This just doesn't make much sense to me.  I just think I must have done something wrong in the setup.  In iCloud settings on my iMac, I have Mail, Contacts, Calendars and Bookmarks all syncing with the Cloud.  Is there something else I should be doing?

• Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10 (84,595 points)

You need to move the contacts from your "on my Mac" group to your "iCloud" group on your Mac, you also need to set your default account in your address book preferences to the "iCloud" group.

This user tip might help you understand how accounts work with Address Book.

• LMM50 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Very helpful.  I had everything set up properly.  I just needed to copy all contacts from the On My Mac group to my iCloud group and delete duplicates.  All is well now.   Thanks.