Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Menu bar does NOT appear in FULLSCREEN APPS

Hey everyone,

I recently updated to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard on release day. Although I am relatively unfamiliar with the full screen apps Lion + ML have started enabling I seem to be having an issue.

I started using fullscreen mode with Safari and noticed I lost my menu bar. I soon found that moving my cursor up to the top of the screen made the bar come back into place.

HOWEVER, about a day ago it stopped working! Is there something that has happened to stop this from working? It's quite annoying as once I'm in fullscreen mode I cannot leave it without hitting the esc button, which closes my browser down losing my websites and work I have done.

This problem also persists in other apps that I fullscreen, I merely used safari as an example because its one I would like to use most in fullscreen.

Is there any other way I can make the menubar show up again? And is there a reason moving my cursor to the stop of the screen no longer brings up the menubar?

I am running ML on Mid 2009 MBP OSX 10.8

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 9:27 AM

I think it's a bug, but switching to another space and then back to the space where Safari is, should fix the problem.

I've seen this happening after playing fullscreen videos from YouTube.

19 replies

Jul 29, 2012 8:36 AM in response to leisgean

I am also the new user for Mountain Lion after upgrade from Snow Leopard.

I experience the same problem, but I found a workaround by using command key "Ctrl + F2" or "Ctrl + F8". It then will show the menu bard. For "Ctrl + F2", you can use direction key to select menu item you need.

By the way, "Esc" key can help you return back to non-full screen mode, so that you can also get your menu bar.

Let's try it.

Jul 29, 2012 7:24 PM in response to leisgean

Very interesting finding.... lastly night I let the ML turned on over night until this morning. I found that the menu bar can work as expected.

In addition, I reported another two problem last night that hot corner suddenly cannot work and mouse dragged icon cannot be dropped. Again, in this morning, both problem disappeared, where can work properly.

Then I rebooted the system. Interestingly I experienced the same three problem again. After few hours, those few problem were suddenly disappeared.

Jul 31, 2012 4:21 AM in response to boycemac

The final solution to solve all problem I reported is to uninstall Air Display. This solved my question.

After unintalling Air Display, dragged icon now can be dropped as expected just after reboot. Hot corner can work as expected just after reboot. Menu bar can be shown properly in full screen mode when mouse was moved to the top as expected just after reboot.

Without uninstall, the workaround is to wait for an hour for my ML to be stablized. It means that after about one hour, those problem would then be resolved automatically, but it means I cannot reboot my ML if do not want to wait.

Sep 9, 2012 6:55 PM in response to ian.s.cameron

This happens to me all the time in Safari, only in Lion, not Mountain Lion. Pretty often mousing to the top of the screen to reveal the menu bar will just stop working and I have to do a quick double Command-Tab (switch briefly to another app) to restore it. Happened in Safari 5.x and unfortunately Safari 6.0 hasn't fixed it. It's something I've learned to deal with but it's very annoying and takes a lot of the joy out of Full Screen Mode. And I can imagine for more non-technical users it would be very frustrating and difficult to know what happened.

Menu bar does NOT appear in FULLSCREEN APPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.