Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone had a problem with airplay mirroring a 2012 MacBook Air?

I have the new macbook air and i upgraded to mountain lion (after a three day code delay) and i am trying air play mirror mode because it was the one feature i really wanted. Now im getting an extreme lag. Once it begins to work i am getting sound but the video is in still frames every 5-10 seconds, I have the newest apple tv as well. Does anyone else have this problem, is there a fix. Its not my router because i dont have problems streaming anything else over my network.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion, NEWEST APPLE TV

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 9:23 AM

25 replies

Jul 28, 2012 9:28 AM in response to deathntaxes27

During airplay mirroring it is streaming a lot more data. The MBA is a wonderful machine, but it isn't the most robust out there. My MBP 2011 core i7 2.7GHz has a slight lag, not much, just very slight. Also I have a Apple TV 2, you have an Apple TV 3. Your apple TV plays at 1080P which may also be part of your problem. On your display settings consider adjust the resolution to "best for airplay" and see if that reduces your lag.

Jul 29, 2012 6:09 PM in response to deathntaxes27

I'm having extreme issues with it too, I was having the same lag (maybe even worse) on a 5 GHz Time Capsule Network. Video is absolutley unwatchable. It sutters and lags every couple seconds for me and no one else is on my network. I have a MBP i7 with SSD and Apple TV 2. I downgraded all my settings to lowest possible resolution and it was still bad. I even tried using a third party app called AirParrot.

Jul 30, 2012 10:01 PM in response to deathntaxes27

To clear up a prior misleading comment, the new mirroring feature with Snow Leopard has a max resolution of 720P, even though the Apple TV 3 has 1080P output capabilities. That said, I am also seeing video lag with my 2012 Macbook Air i5 4GB ram and an Apple TV 3. Granted, I have only a 54 MBPS 802.11G router (not the latest 802.11N). I wanted to use this feature to watch hulu and other services in which mirroring is blocked on the iPad.

I was thinking my issue with mirroring must be caused by the older generation Linksys router I'm using. However, after seeing GamerArt1st 's post, I'm really blown away that a 5 GHz Time Capsule Network with a MBP i7 is not able to perform this flawlessly.

I'm trying to become a Mac convert here (been using PC's for 20 years), but windows pc's with Intel WiDi chipsets have been performing this function since 2010 in 1080P and allowing the TV to serve as a second monitor (just google "WiDi"). What gives here? Will Apple support reply in these forums?

😕

Jul 31, 2012 11:40 AM in response to deathntaxes27

I have a ATV3 and I can mirror with my iphone4s flawlessly but on the other hand I have a ipad3 and a early 2011 MBP that totally FAILS in AirPlay mirroring!!! On my ipad3 it will streak YouTube vids and photos well! But crushing around the home screen it totally lags ALOT!! Or sometimes it goes black!!! My MBP it worked for about 5 mins then went back to its ways!!!! Black screen LAGS ALOT!!! What do you think is wrong!? The iPhone 4s works perfectly

Aug 1, 2012 6:25 PM in response to deathntaxes27

Also having ongoing issues. 2012 MBA with i7 and 8 GB RAM. ATV2, and 2010 Extreme Router. Can't stream anything without freezes, separated audio, or repeated holds on the screen. All other wireless streaming not involving mirroring and airplay work great (Netflix, Apple movies, everything else with Apple TV) and if I connect a cord then the same media that freezes on mirroring also plays flawlessly streaming on my network. So -- problem is definitely in communication between Apple TV and my out-of-box Macbook AIR.

Called Apple -- they insist its my internet service provider. They are no help whatsoever. What do I do?

Aug 1, 2012 9:42 PM in response to deathntaxes27

So, I upgraded the drivers on my 802.11G router which is at least 5 years old, and yesterday was able to watch mirrored Xfinity TV with noticeably improved frame rates and no stutter. I also used inSSIDer, available for $5 in the app store, free for a PC (go figure) to confirm that I was on a good wi-fi channel not cluttered by neighbors connections. I also ran the wi-fi diagnostics tool which is buried on mountain lion to see my true connection speed to my router. Here is some help getting to that:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/12/28/check-wireless-signal-strength-optimize-wifi-netw orks-mac-os-x/

So, after hours of effort, I sat down to enjoy my show. About 5 minutes in, the brand new MacBook Air decides to relive it's former life as a clothes iron. I mean, this sucker got too hot to comfortably leave on my lap, and after 15 minutes of listening to the fan blow like a jet engine I gave up on the show and put the MBA into the freezer (joke).

This article contains an interview with the developer of AirParrot, a software based solution to mirroring/desktop extension, and it sheds some light on the hardware running to support ATV mirroring. He really stresses network connectivity and the fact that your machine will get hot:

http://www.cultofmac.com/178460/the-real-reason-why-macs-before-2011-cant-use-ai rplay-mirroring-in-mountain-lion-feature/

I still think it's ridiculous that a customer who forks out for the latest laptop, ATV, and airport hardware doesn't have a brilliant experience with this function. I've got a Cisco router on the way from amazon with better speed tests and 1/2 the price of an Airport Extreme; where is the value of Apple if it's not a brilliant user experience? But I hope with a little bit of perserverence you guys/gals can nail down the issue. My main question now, am I potentially shortening the life of my MacBook Air running it at these high temperatures? Or can I just sit it on a table and forget about it while I watch a movie?

--the IT guy considering returning his Mac and waiting for Windows 8 touchscreen ultrabooks in October

Aug 6, 2012 5:35 PM in response to deathntaxes27

I have the same problem. Running the latest 13" macbook purchased in June 2012 and Mountain Lion with an Apple TV 3. All of this stuff was bought BECAUSE OF THIS FEATURE!!! And it doesn't work as advertised!!!! I tried phoning apple but they are closed. I doubt they would be of any help either. I've felt screwed by Apple before, but never like this.

Aug 6, 2012 5:43 PM in response to stevanplavsa

i have contacted apple support. i spent over 2 hours on the phone trying everything imaginable. we ended up running a recording program on my mb while attempting to mirror mode and they are sending the recording to upper level support who can read the code and try to figure out what is going on. they told me they should get back to me in 4 days (from sunday).

Aug 9, 2012 7:21 PM in response to deathntaxes27

would love to hear what support might say to you.

I suspect with all the issues I am seeing about it (and there are many), if there isn't a software fix/upgrade, this will not work as advertised. ATV3 isn't too horribly bad on its own, but mirroring from a new MBP Retina with the latest Mac router and high speed internet is not working at all. The problem lies in the mirroring itself, not the streaming or downloading to the MBP. I still appreciate the ATV for the ease of share your mac and can see utilzing it a bit via the ATV interface directly, but honestly really bought it for the wireless mirroring of the new MBP and have so far not found any good fixes. Using it as a bigger wireless monitor is ok but not great. But the lag is awful (sound and video) of any nature. Simply can't use it for it. Again, hope an update may help.

Dec 5, 2012 3:43 AM in response to deathntaxes27

Do you meet the all following AirPlay Mirroring Requirements?:

Requirements for AirPlay Mirroring in OS X Mountain Lion

An Apple TV

Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) with software update v5.0 or later. See How to update Apple TV software.

Supported Macs AirPlay Mirroring in OS X Mountain Lion takes advantage of the hardware video encoding capabilities of 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core processors. Hardware video encoding allows AirPlay Mirroring to efficiently deliver high frame rates while maintaining optimal system performance. The following Mac models have processors that support AirPlay Mirroring:

• iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)

Hope this helps 🙂

Has anyone had a problem with airplay mirroring a 2012 MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.