Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I get me imac to play rented DVDs

All Netflix and red box DVDs won't play. Any purchased DVD is fine.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 9:15 AM

11 replies

Jul 28, 2012 10:16 AM in response to 88888

found the answer to my own question. looks like you have to get an external DVD drive and use that. Appears as though apple happily disables rental play on their internal drives so they can say they are in compliance with all the piracy rules and regulations and hope that people just rent from iTunes instead of redbox or netflix.

Jul 28, 2012 10:59 AM in response to SeaPapp

I believe you are incorrect. My internal drive plays every purchased DVD with no issue. It is no concidence that every DVD that I rent won't play. when you upgrade to Lion and are on 10.7 I wonder if you will have problems with rented DVDs also as that is what OS I am on.

Is there anyone else out there that is running on Lion that can confirm if they are experiencing the same issue?!?!

Jul 28, 2012 11:08 AM in response to 88888

I'll watch to see if other Lion users report the same. My problems started very selectively too and got worse as time went by. The slim internal drives used by Apple are VERY finicky and in my opinion not very reliable. Rented discs are more often than not, not in great condition whereas the discs you own probably are in very good condition. Hopefully for you I'm wrong......but I'm betting against it.

how do I get me imac to play rented DVDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.