Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.8 Applications Not Responding After Resume

I can't seem to find anything on the web and now I'm turning here to see if any other early adopters are having the same issues as me. After resume log in, virtually every application I try to open goes unresponsive. The system will not reboot either when this happens. I have to hold the power button to restart, which is not ideal at all. I'm starting to think this is an issue with the iMac, as my 2009 Macbook Pro does not seem to have this issue... Anyone else having this issue? Any thoughts?

My System:

2011 27" iMac 3.4 ghz i7, 12 GB ddr3

OS X 10.8

Applications Not Responding:

• Photoshop CS4
  • Chrome
  • Firefox
  • Preview
  • TextEdit
  • FileZilla
  • iTunes
  • Finder
  • and maybe others...

Upon a successful restart the system appears to function as intended...

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 10:19 AM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2012 1:21 PM in response to drivindisco

Same is happening to me, about 50% of the time after I resume from suspend and supply password.

First just one application is unresponsive, but as I try to switch to another application, it also becomes unresponsive.

That includes activity monitor, it will also become unresponsive

Pressing power brings up the reboot selection box (not sure what to call it), but then that box becomes unresponsive

Only way to get everything going again is to power cycle the box

2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina

Mountain Lion

All updates applied

Aug 15, 2012 7:30 PM in response to drivindisco

Same issue here. I installed 10.8 the weekend of its release. Then just two days ago (8/13), I starting having these issues. Usually after a day of my MBP sleeping overnight I'll open it up and apps will start to become unresponsive. Closed apps will not open. I have to give the forked salute (command-control-power) to restart it. Not a good situation.

Sep 3, 2012 2:13 PM in response to drivindisco

I'm having the same issue with my system 2011 iMac 27" 16GB OS 10.8 (installed weekend it was released) problem started mid August sporadically now with every reboot- finder becomes completely unresponsive and will not relaunch. Often spinning beachball but not always HD checks ok

also time machine hasn't connected since 22nd August.

Found Avast antivirus incompatible- removed including plist files new system loaded via HD recovery- still doing it. Frustrating- a hardware problem? not many other posts on this. drivindisco I assume you mean "upon successful restart the finder functions as intended" until you start an application.

10.8 Applications Not Responding After Resume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.