Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot reconnect part of references masters after TM restore

What happened before this extreme weird an annoying case :

I did the upgrade to OSX 10.8 last night, after making sure I completed a backup on TimeMachine. After the ML upgrade I decided to role-back (driver for external wifi adapter appeared not to be ML ready) using the latest TM backup. My system was up and running in an hour again, and works like a charm on 10.7.4. again.

Except for Aperture. I have ca. 15.000 photo's, all stored as referenced masters. Aperture library and masters are on the same drive. What is wrong now :

About one third of the photo's has the arrow and yellow triangle badge for referenced files that cannot be found. Since all my masters are outside of the library, and are still intact, it would expect to be able to reconnect them. But I'm not. Right click on just one of the photo's and selecting "Relocate referenced files", results in a message saying "The selection doesn't have any referenced file", which does not make sense, since it always used to be a referenced file, and has a badge meaning according to the manual "The referenced image’s master has not been found. "

Since I have spent a huge effort on building my album structure and have been making a lot of edits in Aperture it self, all that work seems to be lost now. I may spent weeks on re-importing the projects one-by-one, but then I will definitely loose all the edits I made in past.

Any thoughts how to fix this? I've tried all the database fixing (3 options) already, no result so far. I'm very disappointed, I use all the Apple stuff (OS, Aperture, Time Machine) and would expect it to work together seamlessly, but apparently not.

Thanks for your help.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 11:48 AM

2 replies

Jul 28, 2012 12:03 PM in response to Mitch Buchanan

"Relocate referenced files"

There is no such option - did you select "Relocate original"? You need to select "Locate Referenced File", then you should be able to reconnect the masters.

Your error message also might mean, that you have the very rare error, that your library contains managed masters/originals, that have lost the connection to their versions. If "Locate Referenced File" does not work, look into your Aperture library package, if you indeed have some images inside the "MAsters" folder (ctrl-click the Aperture library and select "Show package contents" to look inside).

Regards

Léonie

Aug 1, 2012 2:22 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the input Leonie.

After spoiling my complete weekend on this I decided to restore an older version of the Aperture library. Luckily this one was not screwed up, I lost only the last two projects (still have the (referenced) master files anyhow).

Again this whole excercise was for me a reason to work with references masters forever, even if stored on the same drive. This way a corrupt database will never result in loosing master files.

Cannot reconnect part of references masters after TM restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.