Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No SIM Card Detected in iPad 2

I know this subject has been discussed before, but I have read through those threads and have not found a solution. Perhaps someone has a fresh idea.

Starting yesterday afternoon, whenever I close my iPad smart cover and re-open it, while using cellular, I get the no SIM card error. If I go into settings and put it in and out of airplane mode, it pops them back on. I have done multiple restarts, checked for a software update (none), checked for an AT&T update (none) and let m battery drain.

In some of the threads it mentioned drops knocking the card loose. My iPad has not been dropped, or even jarred. My iPad is 13 months old.

Is this a common problem? Is it something I can fix or do I need to take into the apple store? It isn't horrible, but it is inconvenient, and obviously something isn't working properly.

iPad 2

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 1:57 PM

14 replies

Aug 20, 2012 5:36 PM in response to BikeBookBread

My iPad 2 ran into the same problem last week when I was on a road trip from CA to NJ.

I tried all sorts of suggestions but only got it to work once after switching Airplane mode on and off > 100 times. Then within 24 hrs I got the same SIM card not found error again.

Got home finally (without my 3G) then I did some experiment.

Now I think I might have found a way that works on my iPad2 everytime.

Here is what I did:

1. I put iPad2 on a flat table top.

2. Home button on the left and iPad in portrait mode

3. in Setting, turn 'ON' Airplane Mode.

4. put your palm or thumb about 1-inch below and 1-inch to the left from the upper right hand screen corner and put a little pressure while switching the Airplane mode to "OFF" position.

I got the 3G "searching..." then connected to AT&T again

Works everytime when i got the "no sim card" error so far

i have successfully got it connected 3 times already.

Hopes this works for you too.

Good luck!

Aug 24, 2012 12:17 PM in response to BikeBookBread

Hi, I have bought iPad 3 and have been facing this problem entire day today....I got the sim working by going to settings>general>reset>reset network settings .....and it worked!

I again had a problem after 2 hours and this time I had to reset all settings.....since the sim was still not working and i had no wifi....I had to first download iTunes to my laptop then connect the iPad to it and reset the iPad.....and this worked...the sim got detected....hope this helps

Sep 27, 2013 1:45 PM in response to BikeBookBread

pff.. same problem here.

2 years ago I bought this Ipad. And after a year or so, the sim card couldn't be detected anymore. The Ipad was still in warranty, so i've sent it back after following the necessary procedures.

I've received quickly a new one.(2 weeks).

And now, after more then a (new) year(out of warranty), I have the same problem again..

😟

(we use a magnetic smartcover, but to say that it breaks it after more than a year, I'm not enough convinced)

(removing the magnetic smartcover doesn't help so far either.)

Sep 27, 2013 2:14 PM in response to loesje_vandamme

🙂 oopss, surfing some other threads about this issue. I did following..

removed the magnetic smartcover.

Set the contrast of the screen to the lowest.

And repeatedly switched airplaymode on/off..(receiving no sim errormessage)

untill I received a message sim locked!

And so i could unlock it.

I don't know if it will last forever, but it works for now.

I will try using the smartcover however, because i've been using this already for more than a year or so.

Oct 9, 2013 11:49 AM in response to Andrew-ACT-ACSA

I was having this issue and tried all the actions recommended here and all over the web. what i found that worked for me and has been fine since. Believe it or not, gold does oxidize to some extent and the gold contacts on your sim card do to. in my industry it is not uncommon to have pc board connection problems caused by a bad contacts.

with that thought, i pulled my sim card and placed it on my kitchen counter gold side up. i took a pencil eraser and mildly scrubbed the gold contacts. i held the card in place with a finger, did one side, spun it around, held it and rubbed the other side and i could see the gold actually get shiny again. put the SIM card back in and have not have the sim card not found problem again.

Mar 4, 2015 8:19 AM in response to BikeBookBread

although this post is old... probably someone is analysind this problem as well:

my iPad 2 worked fine until I updated to iOS 8 and bought a keyboard case with smart-function (=magnetic).

No SIM errors started then. First I thought it was a iOS 8 problem. Now a repair company told me it is a hardware defect. Since the magnet of the case is located near the sim card reader, I think this magnet may damage the sim card reader after a while.

No SIM Card Detected in iPad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.