12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2015 11:27 PM by Location accuracy is improved
Scotch_Brawth Level 3 (820 points)

I have GTA: Vice City as purchased from the Mac App Store.  When attempting to launch it on 10.8 absolutely nothing happens - the icon doesn't even appear in the Dock.  The error message in the Console is as follows:

com.apple.launchd.peruser.xxx[175]: ([0x0-0x57057].com.rockstargames.gtavc[442]) Exited with code: 1

Anyone else experiencing this?

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD
  • TheSmokeMonster Level 4 (3,230 points)

did you try deleting it and redownloading it?

I didn't even know this was in the MAS is it any good? Would be cool if they extended it to work with an iOS device.

You listening to my gold that I'm spitting here developers? get on this!

• ClayG Level 4 (1,415 points)

Have you checked the Mac App Store for updates?

• Scotch_Brawth Level 3 (820 points)

@TheSmokeMonster:

The DRM on MAS downloads allows you to simply copy apps between authorised computers, which is what I did to avoid a long and tedious download.  The very same process worked just fine with Duke Nukem Forever, also on the MAS.  I've raised a support query with Rockstar.  If I have to, I'll re-download it, but there really should be no need.

It's not bad to play.  Being a "Cider" port (basically they took the Windows game and wrapped it in code that lets you play it directly on the Mac) there's a performance hit that you wouldn't expect if it was a native game.  This hit was even noticeable on my 2010 Mac Pro!  For the price, I tend to suggest people just buy the PC game and wrap it themselves in the same way using free and legal software available at PortingTeam.  At the moment their "wrapper" only works on Macs up to 10.6 though, whilst VC from the MAS definitely works fine on 10.7.

@ClayG:

I did, and have just checked again - no go.  If they do update it hopefully they'll fix the ear-piercing high-pitched distortion that frequently affects the audio in the left channel.  Complaints on this are rife in the reviews.

• ClayG Level 4 (1,415 points)

Scotch, the point in redownloading is to address possible corruption in the application files. I strongly suggest you delete and redownload the app. It may just solve your problem.

I get your point, I really do.  But bandwidth is at a premium, especially between certain times of day.  Also, the game file itself was not actually moved or copied - it actually resides on an external disk that I move between machines as necessary. The game launched just fine from this disk in Lion, and opens just fine on my other authorized Mac.  Hence why I'm inclined to believe it may simply be an incompatibility with ML.

When the bandwidth allows, I'll probably re-download.  But in the meantime, it's fair and justifiable to assume it's not corruption that's to blame.

Why not buy it and test it yourself?  If it works you've proved me wrong _and_ got a choice gaming experience on your Mac into the bargain

• bbfc Level 3 (850 points)

I have that game and it works fine for me. Sounds like you game has become corrupted somehow. I recommend you redownload it when you can.

• musicfor18 Level 1 (10 points)

Scotch,

Regardless of your inclinations, the very most likely explanation for your problem is corruption of the file. Deleting and reinstalling would be the first troubleshooting step.

@bbfc: aha, it definitely works for you on ML? Then it must be something else.  I'll look further.

• bbfc Level 3 (850 points)

I've just loaded it again. The first time i clicked on it after updating to ML it didn't seem to be doing anything, and then it appeared in the dock and loaded the app.

Well, I just re-downloaded it, and I'm getting the exact same problem - same error message in the Console too.  Odd.

Are you running it from an Admin or Standard user account?

Fixed it.  Turns out when I'd copied my old settings from a previous install they'd adopted 555 permissions instead of 755.

• Location accuracy is improved Level 1 (0 points)

Scotch_Brawth wrote:

Fixed it.  Turns out when I'd copied my old settings from a previous install they'd adopted 555 permissions instead of 755.