Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TIPS: OS X server installation lessons learnt (for non Guru)

This is for non Guru, without using Terminal.

A few lessons learnt after a few days of fight with Moutain Lion (10.8) ans OS X Server installation on mac mini server.

I am using a free external dynamic DNS service (in my case selfhost.bz). I am not using an external (against fee) certification.

In the example below my computer name is "server" and my host name is "DenisF.selfhost.bz".

if your installation was not working well before, the update will not help and trying to repair is almost impossible for non expert.

After several days of fight, I managed to install a basic working system in 2 hours (not rushing) as follows:

a) I solved all the external router setting and Dynamic DNS in advance at router level (my host name address is something like DenisF.selfhost.bz (this is an fictive example)

b) Give a fixed IP address to your server (e.g. at router level) and stick to it. Once you start using server.app do it with the right IP adress (don't change between ethernet and wifi in the middle).

c) after ensuring proper backup e.g. time machine, boot in recovery mode - use cmd + R with a USB keyboard (bluetooth doesn't work during reboot phase).

d) I reformatted the disk and created several partitions:

- one for the system and applications (the things I can re-download and thus I can reformat without questions)

- one for the users account and other service data

- I was also considering a third one with a minimalist system to facilitate time machine recovery of individual system files or disk repair.

e) I re-downloaded from internet (less than 2 hours with 16Mbps)

f) Activate Server.app. Do the things in the order presented in the next step panel at the bottom (do not follow the logic of the big windows).

g) Before creating users, go to the service file sharing:

- Disable the sharing of "/User" if it is not the right one.

- share the location where you want to have the users folders installed.

- Enable the use of your new location for "home directories via afp. Do not enable home directories for the home folders themselves.

Tips: do a drag and drop of the folder from the finder in the field rather than typing. Before doing that

h) idem for service data location in hardware/server/settings

i) create local network users rather than local users (except for admin)

j) in the system preference, go to sharing and check the local name in my case the local name was DenisF.local and the computer name was server which created some glitches.

k) install airprint activator if you want to transform a shared printer in an Airprint compatible printer for iOS devices.

l) install teamviewer (free for non comeercial users) or equivalent for remote management.

Enjoy and feel free to complement.

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 2:33 PM

3 replies

Jul 29, 2012 2:19 PM in response to DenisF

A new one between J9 and k):

Do not trust the "host name" indication whether in the hardware/server/setting/network or configure network at the bottom window of the server.app.

In my case I was using "host name for internet" and sometimes the name change alone to a name given by my router. In that case you may have a warning in the alert. If you have a warning click on update even if the message seems OK.

==> to be sure click the edit button next to the "host name", follow the assistant and wait a few seconds until the name appear. If it is the right one then it is OK otherwise correct it.

TIPS: OS X server installation lessons learnt (for non Guru)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.