Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I install Wordpress on OS X Server

I am running a mini and have installed pgAdmin3. I can't seem to create a database. Is there a installer available to install Wordpress?

Mac mini, OS X Server, Can't seem to install wordpress

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 3:33 PM

12 replies

Aug 7, 2012 3:24 AM in response to kohncreative

You can install WordPress in OS X Server, but you need to create a database for it to create its tables in. Apple dropped MySQL beginning with Lion, so you would have to install MySQL yourself. I believe WordPress will also work with Postgresql, which is included in ML Server, so you should be able to use that as an alternative to MySQL. Check the Wordpress web site for detailed setup and configuration instructions.

Aug 7, 2012 11:50 PM in response to kohncreative

I have WordPress running on my Mountain Lion Server. You can use the PG4WP plugin found here so MySQL won't be needed:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/postgresql-for-wordpress/installation/

Before you can do the install, you will need to do a few things:

1. Configure PostgreSQL to listen on 127.0.0.1:

sudo serveradmin settings postgres:listen_addresses = "127.0.0.1"

2. Start PostgreSQL:

sudo serveradmin start postgres

It may already be started by one of the other services that uses it (e.g. Wiki, Calendar, Profile Manager, ...).

3. Create a WordPress database, create the WordPress database user, and change ownership of the database to the user:

sudo -u _postgres psql postgres -c "create database wordpress_test_db"

sudo -u _postgres psql postgres -c "create user wordpress_test_user with password 'xyzzy'"

sudo -u _postgres psql postgres -c "grant all privileges on database wordpress_test_db to wordpress_test_user"

Obviously, you should change the stuff that's in bold text. 🙂

4. In Server.app -> Web, check the box to enable PHP web applications.

After you've done those things, it's a snap to follow the PG4WP and standard WordPress installation instructions.

Aug 8, 2012 9:59 AM in response to kohncreative

I'm unfamiliary with PgAdmin. Is that like a postgressy equivalent of phpmyadmin for MySQL? If so, yeah, you could probably do step 3 from my instructions in that. But you'd probably have to do some command line work to get PgAdmin working. 🙂

Edit: so it seems PgAdmin is a GUI app, not a web app. I was thinking of phpPgAdmin, which is the phpMyAdmin-like web app for postgres. So maybe you wouldn't need CLI with PgAdmin. But could you get a version of pgAdmin that works on Mountain Lion that you don't need to compile? The PgAdmin site's download page says: "Mac OSX packages built on Panther are available up to pgAdmin v1.4.1. Newer versions are being built on Tiger." It seems like that page hasn't been updated in many years.

Those 3 commands in step 3 aren't looking too bad right now. 🙂

Aug 25, 2012 1:52 PM in response to Blaidd Drwg

There's been some reports that just using serveradmin to start PostgreSQL won't be enough if you have Time Machine enabled:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4227618?answerId=19362862022#19362862022

Looks like TM shuts it down periodically. Enabling a DB using service such as ProfileManager, Calendar, Wiki, or Addressbook works around this. I don't know a way yet to keep it running without a magic service enabled.

How can I install Wordpress on OS X Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.