10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 2:08 AM by roam
trynda1701 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I would like to update my old PowerPMacs and my Intel iMac to OS X 10.5 Leopard on the following computers:

eMac 700Mhz running 10.3.9

12in Powerbook 867Mhz running 10.3.9

15in Powerbook 1.67Ghz running 10.4.11

20i Intel iMac 2 Ghz CoreDuo running 10.4.11

I know it might be impossible to actually get hold of Leopard nowadays, my eMac and 12inch Powerbook might struggle to run Leopard, and I will want to upgrade the iMac further, but my main question is this. If I see a 'used' copy of a Family Pack for`Leopard, say on eBay, is it safe to buy? Or if it says it has been used on two computers, will I only be able to install it on three of my own?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. The older Macs are running things like Youtube slowly at low res, and Flash video sites are a pain. Plus the 15in Powerbook keeps looking for plugin updates on everything. I know upgrading to Leopard is as far as I can go on the PowerPc Macs, but as the computers can still be used, I would like to get them running as best as possible, even if this circumstance will obviously reoccur as time goes on.

Mark

12" PowerBook 867MHz, 15" PowerBook 1.67GHz, 20" Intel iMac CoreDuo 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.3.x), Mac OS X (10.4.11) on 15" PowerBook and iMac
  • Niel Level 10 Level 10 (279,070 points)

The family pack of Leopard uses the honor system; installations of it are not tracked, either by the software itself or anything at Apple.

(68312)

• trynda1701 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hmm, I see.

Is there a specific version to look out for? I believe it should be the Retail / Install Family Pack, but I obviously don't want one that says it is for only one type of Mac. Should be Universal as well to allow me to do the Powerbooks, eMac and the Intel iMac, right?

Any advice on this would also be appreciated.

Mark

• roam Level 6 Level 6 (13,560 points)

Hi Mark,

Some of the older machines are best left on their old OS, like your eMac 700Mhz running 10.3.9 would not run10.5 Leopard as the minimum req. speed is 867Mhz.

It is really only the last gen eMacs that can handle 10.5 successfully and then they really should have their RAM maxed out to 2GB. Even then they thrash cache and gobble CPU cycles like a glutton at a banquet.

The 12" powerbook would load maybe, but it would struggle to run swiftly.

Leopard at $129 was the last of the expensive OS's and since then, 10.6, and x7and x8 have been discounted by approx. 80%.

So maybe just buy one single use copy of 10.5 and see how it runs, or better still, for your fastest machine, see if you can procure a 10.6.3 DVD as they retailed for only $30.

This strategy would see your best machine running 10.6 and for you to accept the older hardware as best suited to their legacy ware. Nothing wrong with keeping legacy Macs running old OS's.

I fire up an old thing occasionally to check something written in OS9 (from last century)

Apple leads the world in obsolescence, so unless you have deep pockets, be prudent.

I wonder if there would be any point trying to get a Family pack for 10.4 Tiger for the eMac and 12inch Powerbook! lol

Is there a link tro the various types of OS X upgrades? I should be trying to get discs that are black with the large'X' across the full disc, correct? The grey discs that come with your Macs are not the ones to get (Install/Recovery)?

Mark

I wonder if there would be any point trying to get a Family pack for 10.4 Tiger for the eMac and 12inch Powerbook! lol

I wouldn't think so. Installing Tiger is not going to rejuvenate them. 

Is there a link tro the various types of OS X upgrades? I should be trying to get discs that are black with the large'X' across the full disc, correct? The grey discs that come with your Macs are not the ones to get (Install/Recovery)?

Correct, the grey disks are model specfic and they may not load.  

The following shows retail disks OS 10.1 10.2 10.3

-----------------------------  10.4 10.5 10.6

OSX disk labels.png     

The point to consider is the last one, Snow Leopard (for your intel) was until recently, availble for only $30. It may still be possible to order one if you ring an Apple store.

I notice you recommend OS X 10.6 for the Intel iMac. Will 10.7 not run on it, or do I need to update to 10.6 first, and then to 10.7?

• Niel Level 10 Level 10 (279,070 points)

Mac OS X 10.7 won't run on Core Duo Macs; it requires a Core 2 Duo or better. In addition, upgrading to Mac OS X 10.7 via the USB thumbdrive is more expensive than purchasing Mac OS X 10.6 and the download.

(68546)

Ok doke, thanks for that, Niel. I think I've had all the bases covered then. Thanks folks!

Mark

Bumping my own thread about this!

I was just about to do something about this with Christmas lolly, but I have came up with a new question! I was going to ask about whether the Box Sets for Snow Leopard 10.6 came in Family Pack 5 user versions, as I forgot that my late Dad's MacBook could also be updated along with my Intel iMac.

But I've just checked and noticed that the MacBook is a 2.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 1Gb of DDR2 SDRAM and a 80Gb hard drive.

So if I got a single 10.6 Box Set for the Intel iMac, what is the highest OS X that will run on the MacBook?

Mark

I was going to ask about whether the Box Sets for Snow Leopard 10.6 came in Family Pack 5 user versions.

I don't see that offered, just the single.  At the check out you could select 2, one for yourself and one for your Dad's MacBook.

What is the highest OS X that will run on the MacBook 2.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.

10.7.4 or 10.8, depending on the model.