Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini display port to VGA not showing correctly on TV

I have a new 2012 (June) MacBookPro running 10.7.4 with a 2.5 GHz Intel i5 processor. Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB.

I'm trying to connect a Toshiba flat screen TV to the computer via a mini display port to VGA adapter purchased from Apple with the computer. Sometimes I see 5 lines running down the screen. I can get the screen to show on the TV by changing resolutions and refresh rates (1280 x 768 at 60Hz) but the TV shows 5 partial screens on my laptop screen (between those different vertical lines). I feel like I'm looking at the beginnings of an abstract art piece.

All software is up to date.

Any advice would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4), mini display port to VGA adapter

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 5:04 PM

4 replies

Jul 29, 2012 6:55 AM in response to abusch38

The issue persists when attempting to connect to a digital projector for work using the VGA connector. My mid 2009 white MacBook did this like a pro. When connecting the macbook to the TV or projector, I get a black screen with multiple blue/red vertical lines. When am able to show some semblance of my desktop, it is cut up in multiple parts and sometimes repeated between the blue vertical lines.

Jul 29, 2012 12:05 PM in response to abusch38

Called Apple Support and they solved my issue.

1) Restart the computer in Safe Mode with display attached (shut down and restart while holding down shift key).

The display showed up without distortion.

2) Change the display to my desired preferences (dimensions and refresh rate).

3) Restart computer. ...and it works like a charm.

Vioala!

Mini display port to VGA not showing correctly on TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.