Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i updated numbers on my iPad and now it is not working

I updated numbers on my iPad and now it is not working

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 5:47 PM

10 replies

May 20, 2013 8:44 AM in response to jean-pierrefromgolfe-juan

Yes - you will need to back up the file(s).

Before deleting the app, try a reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps from the tray before doing the reset. This should have no impact on your data.

May 22, 2013 6:36 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Yes. I have rebooted several times and the problem is the same: launching any iWork app opens for a moment then crashes to desktop. The app is still in the selector but it cannot be opened.

I am reluctant to delete and reinstall until I can verify that the files are available in iCloud. They should be, but I don't have time atm to dig them out.

More info: This is a generation 1 64GB iPad running IOS 5.1.1. This week the eBay app also fails to launch. But for that my theory is eBay added camera support for their new scanning, but this iPad doesn't have a camera. eBay is also mission critical as we are wholesale buyers for a retail store. Ebay, Numbers, Keynote and Pages all fail. All other apps seem fine. Maybe Apple changed something in their sdk which is breaking these new apps. For memory: About reports 40GB available. Maybe this iPad has a memory problem... is there a memory test to run?

Having iWork crash like this is unforgivable. These are mission critical apps for me. I need them in real time to run our store. OTOH the data is mostly temporary and not that valuable, except for that great presentation I made on how to save Bliss, Michigan, from windmill farms for the planning commission, only to have Keynote not start. Plus a couple of spreadsheets whose content is a vague memory. Hopefully they will be in the cloud.

I am hoping Apple is aware of this issue and working on a patch.

May 22, 2013 6:46 AM in response to -Chad-

-Chad- wrote:

btw... my wife's idea is to use the Android pad instead.

Not sure why you think anyone cares.

As for the iwork issue, no, its not a compatiblity issue with the first gen iPad or iOS 5.1.1, and ther isn't a need for Apple to patch anything. Its not a widespread of general issue, its isolated to you in the case. They run fine on my old one. The ebay app itself should be fine on 5.1.1, just won't run the camera function.

Like you will need to consider a restore of the iPad: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Jan 11, 2014 11:25 AM in response to Huecos1959

I have the same problem since the Numbers update on my Ipad,

I have found if I go to settings, Numbers then Turn off use icloud, I can then use numbers.

This how ever is no good for me as all my documents are in icloud so I cant access them.

Thought there my be a corrupted number file But even if I move my documents from icloud to my mac storage, Numbers wont't open when icloud is in use with Numbers.

After several on-line chats with support and aparently icloud teckies are looking at it, I am still none the wiser and its been 5 days now.

i updated numbers on my iPad and now it is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.