Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server.app "Could not connect to the server."

I just downloaded and installed Mountain Lion (the day after its release). It seems fine so far.

The next day I decided to install Mac OS X Server, so I dished out $20 and downloaded it from the App Store.

"setting up your server is incredibly simple" - Yeah okay. This is exactly what I do:

1) Open server. The "Set up your server" screen comes up.

2) Click "Continue".

3) Click "Agree".

4) Authenticate

I get a dialog box that slides down and says, "Could not connect to the server." The only option is "OK".

5) I select Manage->Connect to server..., and choose "This mac" from the list and click "Continue". It brings me back to the same screen that I started with.

6) Repeat 1-4. Same results, except that the application exits (gracefully - but with no feedback).

There aren't many options at all and I can see nothing else I can even try. I'm on a Mac Pro connected wirelessly to a Time Capsule. I also have a MacBook Pro, which curiously got further than I could get on the Mac Pro. Both computers are connected wirelessly to the same network and configured the same (as far as I can tell). The Mac Pro has far superior hardware compared to the MacBook Pro. (MP: 6-Core 3.33 Xeon / 24GB RAM/ 1TB HD / MBP: 1 Core2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 4 MB RAM, 160 GB HD). Both computers are running Mountain Lion.

I'm completely new to using OS X Server. I figured I could learn something with it for only $20. If I left out any important details, please let me know.

There's no documentation out there for this new product and I could find nobody else who has had any similar issues. Any help is greatly appreciated.

OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 6:45 PM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2012 1:35 AM in response to bmantzey

There should be more from steps 3-4 where the server is being setup.

In step no. 4, you should just be able to authenticate using your usual admin account settings for your mac, after that the server app should be configuring now the server.

***VERY IMPORTANT to make sure that your Server.app is in your "Applications" folder.

Be sure to be connected to the internet and remove unnecessary peripheral connection to "other" server that might confuse the Server.app that you alreay have a server installed and may only need the admin tools.

Let me know it this works.

Thanks.

Jul 29, 2012 11:37 AM in response to markeez

Thank you for the response markeez.

What I have listed above is exactly how it happens. Nothing else happens between 3-4.

I do not get any authentication failure errors. I even tried it logging in to the root account (after several attempts under my normal admin account).

I did verify that the app is in the Applications folder. I literally downloaded it from the App store and tried to run it. It works on my MBP (which is not where I want it), but not on my MP.

I'm definitely connected to the internet and I have no other server connections. I even tried it in "Safe boot" mode.

No other server software has ever been on this computer.

Still no luck. 😟

Aug 20, 2012 9:31 AM in response to iToaster

It works now but here's the thing...

When I was at home with my Mac Pro on the wireless is when it wouldn't work. I was able to install and get further on my MacBook Pro (which is much older) on the same wireless.

I brought my Mac Pro to work (different LAN), connected it to the wired connection, and tried the Server software. Same results - "Could not connect to server."

I had a few other issues with crashing and for some reason my Terminal was displaying "brucetablet:" at the command prompt. I bought the computer used and it came with Lion pre-installed. I upgraded to Mountain Lion and it just seemed like a lot of weirdness, so I decided to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install of Mountain Lion.

After the clean install, I tried again and it seems like it works just fine.

That annoying "brucetablet:" is still there though (which I guess is a topic for another thread).

Server.app "Could not connect to the server."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.