Skip navigation

Removing com.google.keystone.daemon

23243 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2012 8:29 PM by WZZZ RSS
1 2 Previous Next
jackthelad Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 28, 2012 6:19 PM

I have tried every suggestion that I can find to disable Google's auto update including the Terminal command:

sudo /Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/Resou rces/GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent.app/Contents/Resources/install.py --uninstall

According to my Console, this software update is being launched every 10 seconds. All Google software has been removed, as well as all Google Keystone related .plist that I could find, but to no avail.

Have anyone found a viable solution to this agent that continues to flood my Console searching for something that seemingly doesn't exist?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
  • roam Level 6 Level 6 (13,545 points)
    Jul 28, 2012 6:43 PM (in response to jackthelad)

Post just the one line from the Console log, showing us the message.

• ds store Level 7 Level 7 (30,305 points)
    Jul 28, 2012 9:23 PM (in response to jackthelad)
    Jul 28, 2012 11:28 PM (in response to jackthelad)

You would think ds-store's pointer would had have worked.

Have you searched for "com.google.keystone.daemon" for any reference to it on your computer?

I have not installed Google Chrome, nor had the problem of getting rid of it so what follows is more out of curiosity than troubleshooting… In Terminal, what is the output of the following command. Copy and paste it to avoid errors

kextstat | grep -v apple

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 10.6.8
  • WZZZ Level 6 Level 6 (11,880 points)
    Jul 29, 2012 12:24 PM (in response to jackthelad)

This is everything keystone on my system. I only have Chrome (and only as a backup browser) installed in my user and nowhere else, so it's possible you might find it elsewhere, depending on your settings.

/Users/****/Library/Preferences/com.google.Keystone.Agent.plist

/Users/****/Library/Caches/com.google.Keystone.Agent

/Users/****/Library/Caches/com.google.Keystone

/Users/****/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/TicketStore/Keystone.ticketstore .lock

/Users/****/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/TicketStore/Keystone.ticketstore

Get EasyFind and search.

http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware/

Jul 29, 2012 1:51 PM (in response to jackthelad)

This may be the cause. Concentrate on removing that.

com.google.driver.Gild

I could suggest a command to unload that, but as I have not actually unloaded that driver, I can't confirm the command would work. In other words I can't test it and don't want to put your system at risk if something was mistyped. This driver sits at a fundamental level but that is what I'd be angling to get rid of.

• WZZZ Level 6 Level 6 (11,880 points)
    Jul 29, 2012 2:12 PM (in response to jackthelad)

What's in /Library/LaunchDaemons and, same place, LaunchAgents? Also, Accounts>Login Items?

Have you tried EasyFind? Make sure you have show invisible checked and search all files folders. Also check your home folder/Library for LaunchAgents

If you find any in LaunchDaemons or Agents, you can disable them using the following:

sudo launchctl unload -w (space) path to file

or just use  sudo launchctl unload -w  leave a space and drag in the file.

This can easily be reversed by substituting

sudo launchctl load -w

After hitting return, you will be asked for your admin pword, which you won't see as you type it in, then hit return again.

This won't work for the file roam gave you. There is an easily reversible command for that as well. For that, have a look in /System/Library/Extensions.

Jul 29, 2012 3:30 PM (in response to jackthelad)

com.google.driver.Gild' does ot exist.

It does exist. You have already proved that. But it is not something to be found in Finder. It is a process that is loaded in the kernel.

I said "This driver sits at a fundamental level"

It does not have to be removed, it has to be unloaded. using the correct command in Terminal.

I cannot specify the command because I don't have that driver loaded to test it. If you unload the wrong thing, and there are dozens and dozens of kernel extensions, you can make your system inoperable. This is no time for me to try an experiment on your computer.

edit: deleted extraneous information.

Message was edited by: roam

Jul 29, 2012 3:35 PM (in response to jackthelad)

The only Google related Launch Agent found is: 'com.google.GoogleML.plist.' Could that be the culprit? I'm uncertain what GoogleML really is

You seem to have Google stuff still being loaded after all.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.