Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant from TimeMachine stuck on "calculating"

Hi

I Have just done a clean install of Mountain Lion on my 2011 iMac and am now trying to restore user info (I.e. files) from a TimeMachine back-up using migration assistant.

Migration Assistant has spent several hours, apparently stuck, on "calculating" for the size to migrate for the "Users" component. If I click continue, nothing gets migrated. Have restarted the process, and yet again it has been more than 3 hours and still it appears to be "calculating".

My questions:

- is this normal?

- if so, how long should I wait before giving up?

I have about 240Gb of music and photos on here that I'm hoping to restore.

Thanks for any tips!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 9:39 PM

9 replies

Jul 28, 2012 10:31 PM in response to AndyEakin

Keep in mind the migration assistant is the automatic option to transfer your data. You still hve the finder and spotlight and may be able to do it looking through your user folders, system, and libraries. I know that 240 GB of music and photos can take a day or 2 to install again. When you get it back together I would recommend burning your iTunes library to DVD data discs, and iPhoto DVDs for faster installs in the future. Reinstalling !,000 albums of music on CD is a lot slower than installing 100 data discs. I've been there.

Have you tried the time machine restore of your files?

Jul 28, 2012 11:41 PM in response to Abraham_Iam

I did a clean install so can't just restore from TimeMachine as its not a back-up of this clean machine, rather of the old one.

Am going to leave it running and see how long it takes. Was about 30mins for 16gb of apps (not reinstalling from back-up, but clean installing them) so other data could be >7 hrs on that basis. Once it comes through could be a couple of days restore!

It will be worth it, as I had another user install all sorts of crap on the machine and I'm looking forward to a fully clean set-up again.

Jul 31, 2012 8:45 PM in response to AndyEakin

Hi Andy,

Have u solved this issue? I had the exact same problem. Just want to share what I did. When all other suggestion I can find, failed. I tried to make another clean install. Assuming u have all your backups ready and you can safely erase ur HDD, make a clean install and use the migration assistant that comes with the installer setup (do not skip it, and migrate straight away). This somehow works for me.

The migration assistant in the installer setup able to calculate the file sizes and migrate your previous files and settings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Aug 3, 2012 5:21 AM in response to ndt1231

Hi ndt,

That's what happened to me too. Time Machine keeps calculating file sizes when I tried to restore (using migration assistant), after a clean installation of Moutain Lion.

Yes I already did what Andy did to solve his problem, which is create a new admin and restore from that new account. This is required because Migration Assistant wont restore (overwrite) to an account with same username. Somehow, it gives me an infinite loop of calculating file sizes.

My solution was re-installing (clean) Mountain Lion. During the installation, use the Migration Assistant that comes with the installation set up program. Do not skip that process. For some reasons, it can calculate the file sizes and restore successfully.

Hope that is clear.

Thanks.

Migration assistant from TimeMachine stuck on "calculating"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.