4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2012 7:38 AM by flh9392
flh9392 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yesterday, my trackpad was jumping all over the screen, clicking sparatically on everything. This has never happened before. I had no control of it, and it would not stop. It ended up opening a bunch of apps, including Iphoto, and almost deleted my whole Iphoto library through 'options'. When the "Are you sure you want to delete your Iphoto Library" popped up on the screen, I quickly closed my laptop and shut down the computer before the mouse could click anything else. The track pad seems to be better today, but now Iphoto won't load when I launch it. I went to my files and the pictures still seem to be there, but the app itself won't load. I desperately need to upload my full memory card by tomorrow morning because my brother and sisters graduation party is tomorrow and I really want to take pictures. I don't know what to do! Please help!

1. What can I do to make Iphoto load and be fully operable?

2. How do I go about solving the spastic trackpad problem if it persists?

Your help is much appreciated!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (133,940 points)

What version of iPhoto? What happens when you try to start it? Have you a back up?

• flh9392 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have version 8.1.2. When I start it, the Iphoto window pops up but it hasn't loaded any pictures, albums, etc. The rainbow loading disc just keeps spinning and I am unable to click anywhere on the application. I think I have most of my photos backed up, but not the most recent ones. What should I do?

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (133,940 points)

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

• flh9392 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Will both options leave my old ones untouched? Or will option 1 risk loosing my photos I don't have backed up?