Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searching for an EFI Firmware update to enable Lion Internet Recovery on MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)

Hi All,

My Mid-2010 Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch started having random kernel panics lately (more than 1 month of random kernel panics now), usually associated with request such as "open new tab in Safari" etc.

Since I installed 2x4GB RAM modules from Crucial when I bought my MBP (they are +- 2 years old now) and also exchanged my DVD-drive for an extra SSD that now runs the system (fully updated 10.7.4) I have a feeling that those kernel panics might be HW related.

I wanted to run Apple Hardware Test but found out that it is no longer supported on Lion. Since I don't have any optical drive to install AHT from (also I don't have the CDs with me atm), I found out that I can install an EFI Firmware update that enables internet-based (?) AHT.

At http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904# , the link from MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) links to MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.6 which is for Early 2010 models only and doesn't allow me to run the installation process. I'm looking for an EFI update to enable Apple Hardware Test on my Mid-2010 Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch.

Is there an update that can do this? Is there a wrong hyperlink on Apple page or am I searching for a wrong update?

Also, even though this should probably be in a separate topic, can anyone please point me to the right direction for a good Apple Kernel Panic how-to-read-those topic?

Thank you very much in advance.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 10:04 PM

There are no replies.

Searching for an EFI Firmware update to enable Lion Internet Recovery on MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.