Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection failures with GMail in Mail 6.0

After upgrading to Mountain Lion, Mail transferred my accounts to the new format and since then I have been having connection issues with my GMail accounts. The strange thing is that they connect fine as soon as I open / restart Mail, but fail to connect after some time, with no apparrent solution. I've triple checked all settings, which worked fine under Lion and still work fine initially. I've never seen a problem like this where the accounts stop working after a certain time, so I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 10:37 PM

31 replies

Aug 3, 2012 7:56 PM in response to Matthew2005

Wow - after a week of problems, mail is now functioning normally. Not sure what fixed it, but these are the steps I took this morning:

1. Delete all mail accounts in Apple mail (Open Mail > Choose Mail, Preferences > Accounts tab > hit the "-" button at the bottom of the dialog box > Repeat for all accounts if you have more than one)

2. Delete plist file (Hold 'alt' while you select Go, Library > Open preferences > delete files starting with 'com.apple.mail')

3. Delete all gmail files in keychain (open keychain > delete all instances of 'calendar.google.com', 'imap.gmail.com', 'smtp.gmail.com')

4. Open Apple Mail and set up account/s from scratch

5. check smtp server preferences are set up as default (Under "mail preferences, accounts, account information, outgoing mail server (SMTP), Edit SMTP Server List..., Advanced" my preferences are a) "use default ports (25, 465, 587", "Use SSL" is checked, "Authentication" is set to "password" and the login details match those of my email account.

Hope it helps some of you too

Aug 4, 2012 1:33 AM in response to Matthew2005

Thanks for the tips Matthew - I tried all the steps today, but the problems have continued a few hours later when I went to use my macbook again. It seems like a connection attempt to the gmail server has failed, and despite asking mail to retrieve new messages it never tries another connection. Opening the 'Activity' window confirms that no action is taken when my gmail accounts are taken online, synchronized or when I click 'Get New Mail'. Restarting Mail always solves the problem so I'm certain it's a bug on Apple's part.

I don't know if the problem lies in Mail or elsewhere - obviously most people out there have no issues with this, so if anyone has any ideas, let us know!

Aug 8, 2012 8:40 PM in response to iPatA

Thank You iPatA

You solved my problem!

I just wanted to add a second option for people who find this thread but want to keep their 2 step verification with gmail & upgraded Mountain Lion - Mail6.0.

From other thread...

Found solution, Yeay! Mail 6.0, Mountain Lion (osx 10.8, upgraded) is not compatible with Gmail if one has 2-step verification set up on their gmail security settings.

There are 2 options to solving problem

1) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4152515?answerId=19109209022#19109209022)

This will take you through the process to disable 2-step security feature on gmail security page. Thank You iPatA.

2) http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=ch_b/0/SmsAuthConfig& answer=185833

This will take you through the process of assigning an "application specific password" to upgraded Mail 6.0 for successful communication between Mail 6.0 Mountain Lion while Keeping a 2 step verification process if you prefer.

A looking for way I can give you "This solved my question" check & points. Let me know if you know how I can do this. Option not popping up in thread.

You Rock

My original post:

Upgraded to Mountain Lion a week ago suddenly unable to receive incoming emails from Mail.6

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4191168?answerId=19210733022#19210733022

Message was edited by: Laila

Oct 2, 2012 4:11 AM in response to b_77

So this is the famous usability from apple?

Things are getting harder and harder!

I notice when I reinstall osx for other people. How much things you must edit and config before it all works.

I must say windows is still easier (besides the drivers issues). Same on apple they do not test enough before releasing updates. Gmail is the one thing that should work flawlessly unless apple wants to send a message and we all should use @mac mail?

Oct 4, 2012 12:38 AM in response to b_77

Sadly none of these solutions solved my problem. I still get the message Cannot send mesage using the server gmail. The sender address ...@gmail.com was rejected by the server smtp.gmail.com.

I have Mail 6.1 with Mountain Lion.

It's just frustrating. Yahoo works perfectly.

Anyone has any idea what I can do?

Thank you.

Connection failures with GMail in Mail 6.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.