Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-fi network printing problems with Mountain Lion

My wireless network has a Mac mini (Mountain Lion as of yesterday), a 13" MacBook (Snow Leopard) and a PowerPC G4 (Tiger).

2 printers (USB) are connected to the Mac mini - FX Docuprint 203a and HP PhotoSmart C4385 - and shared via wi-fi.

Before the upgrade (from Snow Leopard) of the Mac mini, the other two computers printed to both printers normally over the network.

Now, the MacBook and the G4 appear to see them, but the MacBook says the printers are offline, and the G4 opens the print queue which hangs indefinitely, with the message "Waiting for job to complete".

I've removed and reinstalled the printer drivers on all three machines, and rebooted several times, but no luck.

There seem to be several printing issues emerging as a result of the upgrade to Mountain Lion. Can anyone shed any light on this one?

TIA

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion, 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 11:53 PM

8 replies

Jul 30, 2012 4:43 AM in response to pengtao

Thanks - I did all that up front as a matter of course. Sharing was still indicated. All queues were deleted and reset. Neither of the other networked computers could use the printers (as described in the original post)..

As a test, I later connected both printers to the MacBook (Snow Leopard) via USB. All 3 computers could use the printers in this configuration.

Reconnecting the printers to the Mac mini (Mountain Lion) - printers not usable by the other 2 computers.

Jul 30, 2012 10:50 AM in response to Freeflight

What behavior or error messages do you see on the other two computers when you print? On the Mac Mini, if you keep the printer proxies running and select the "Show Everyone's Jobs" menu item, do you see anything show up when you print from another computer? The /var/log/cups/error_log files on the client computers should have some useful information about why they cannot print.

Aug 5, 2012 5:49 PM in response to Freeflight

Prior to updating with Mountain Lion, printer (Kodak Hero 7.1) worked perfectly well on wifi. Now it says printer not connected - kodak software says 10.8x compatible and to reinstall to resolve connection problems - reinstalled twice, rebooted printer and macbook pro, both to no avail - result being no printer is listed under 'bonjour' and attempts at adding IP address result in a 'printer' being listed - but not recognised and print requests just sit there waiting to no avail.

This has to be a fixable solution - any advice - a novice in such matters - being a keen 'plug and play'

Sep 6, 2012 7:37 AM in response to Freeflight

This may seem silly but it resolved my problem. I have a 2008 iMac with a Canon printer plugged in and I was able to wirelessly print from a 2012 MBP when both were on Lion with print sharing. After both were upgraded to Mountain Lion, the MBP stopped finding the Canon and I got the same error messages that others were posting on various discussion threads. Then yesterday I realized that one of my iphone/ipad apps stopped talking to the iMac and the solution I used before was to reboot my Netgear router. As soon as the router was rebooted, the mobile app found the iMac again and sure enough the MBP found the Canon.

I wouldn't have thought the router was the problem had I not had the mobile app problem before because all this time all my wi-fi devices had perfect internet connection. But again this is my unique situation. I just want to throw this out in case someone want to give it a shot.

Sep 26, 2012 8:15 PM in response to IL mac

IL mac:

Thanks for your post. It certainly solved my issues also. I doubt your router is the problem and it's more likely to be the OS. I have had the same problem with my MBP (mid 2010) running Lion and my son's MBP (brand new) running Mountain Lion. The printer is reachable by IP address through the browser but the MBP's say "printer not connected" in the queue. However, the Windows Laptops (Vista) that we have can print fine when the MBP's can't. After rebooting the router through the browser control panel, the MBP's would then print like there was nothing ever wrong. Bit of a hassle, but the solution I've seen so far.

Thanks again for your post. Saved me some serious grief. Now if someone can solve the problem of having the ethernet port on my MBP go dead after the device goes to sleep...but that's for another thread.

Cheers!!

Wi-fi network printing problems with Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.